Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer is currently set up to dual boot between Windows 7 and Windows XP. I mainly use the XP partition as storage, while I run the Windows 7 partition most of the time. The version of Windows 7 that is currently installed is an RC version (Build 7127).

I recently decided that it was time to upgrade to the full version of Windows 7 (32-bit, to keep things simple). The operating system installed with no apparent errors, until I tried selecting Windows 7 from the Windows Boot Manager at start-up. The Windows XP partition (listed as Earlier Version of Windows) still works, but the Windows 7 partition gives an error (Status: 0xc0000225). The info it gives is: "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible". The given error has something to do with asking me to unplug anything I had recently plugged into the computer (USB device/MP3 player), but I haven't plugged anything in, so that led me to believe it was a driver problem. However, it seems odd that the RC version of Windows 7 works, while the final version does not. So, I re-installed the RC version so I could use the computer again (the XP partition has driver problems that cause Very strange errors on the internet, so I prefer to not use it, but don't look into those errors too much... I only use that partition for storage now)

I tried reinstalling multiple times, and I tried using the Startup Recovery tool that's on the installation disk, but it couldn't detect any problems. Also, I tried running "chkdsk c: /r" through the command prompt on the disk, which also had no effect.

The RC version, which I've been running for something like 9 months now, has never given me any problems, but the final version just won't install properly it seems.

All help is appreciated

Thanks in advance,
Driger1592

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump ~ All ideas are welcome. I think I'll be formatting once more today (using GParted) and if that fails, I'm backing everything up, formatting the entire drive, and I'll see if it works with a freshly formatted drive. If it's still not working then, and I think that's likely, then I'll still need help.

So, any ideas are entirely welcome and all help is appreciated!

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
When you went to install the RTM version of W7 were you sure that it was directed at the RC version of W7?

If so it it could be that a full install will be the thing to do.

I did notice that you mentioned that you ran chkdsk c: /r
If the computer came with XP it is generally on c: and your newer install would possibly be on d:.
check your syntax on that matter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a clean install of the RTM version (deleted the partition with the RC version on it, and replaced it with a new partition for the RTM version). I'm not sure what you mean by full install? I've just backed up all of my data and I'm going to try a clean install of both XP and Windows 7 (deleting both partitions, installing XP first, followed by Windows 7 RTM). If that doesn't work, I'll try using just one partition with Windows 7.

With chkdsk, I actually ran it on both the C: and D:. Judging by the content of the runs, C: was the one with 7 on it. D: had far more files to run through. Considering my XP partition had something like 250gb of data on it, while the Win 7 install had next to nothing, I'd say 7 was running as the C:.

All of your help is definitely appreciated! :) I'll post back after I'm done with these OS installs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed Windows 7, and everything worked well this time.

I understand that it's a bit backwards from what is normal, but I installed Windows XP after I installed 7. The XP install went fine, but I had to boot back into the 7 disc and use the startup repair on the disk to allow my computer to boot into Windows 7 again. After that, I followed the steps found here:

http://www.kombitz.com/2009/01/13/how-to-add-windows-xp-to-windows-7-boot-manager/

Which were supposed to add Windows XP to the boot manager. Now, it did that, but Windows XP won't boot. Would I be better off uninstalling Windows 7 and XP and doing it in the correct order, or is there a way to get the dual boot working correctly in my current situation?

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
The easiest thing to do is get a copy of easy bcd and make the settings with it.
Doing it with bcdedit is not an easy thing to do and even harder to explain correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.