Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I'm trying to install a Windows 7 Profession 64 bit version over a Windows 7 Home Edition 32 bit version.

I know this isn't possible without a clean install, but my problem is, the installation won't boot whatsoever.

Two days ago I installed a fresh copy of W7 32 bit over a vista 32 bit with a flash drive on a laptop with no problem, so I know how you make a bootable USB.

This time however, using the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool didn't cut it for me as, even though it was prioritzed in BIOS, nothing would happen and W7 32 bit would just boot like normal.

So I tried to manually set up the bootable flash drive, which also didn't work.

After a lot of searching on google, I learned the problem might have something to do with the bootsector not able to be run on a 32 bit OS.

So, I found another guide: How to Install Windows 7 or Vista from Bootable Portable USB Flash Memory Key or Hard Disk Drive « My Digital Life

I used the W7 32 bit version I used on the laptop 2 days ago, and put the bootsector of that version on the flash drive with CMD.

Again, this didn't work as the computer would just boot windows 7 32 bit like usual (and again, I adjusted the priority in BIOS)

Now I got enough of trying the flash drive to work, I tried burning the ISO file on a DVD using Imgburn.

Burning the DVD went smoothly and I quickly had a DVD with the W7 64 bit installation files.

This however, didn't solve anything as (again, prioritzing the DVD) W7 would boot up as usual.

I'm out of ideas what could be causing this and any help would be great :D

Specs: OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 4GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, 1023 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 132797 MB; E: Total - 234627 MB, Free - 205990 MB; F: Total - 234316 MB, Free - 233246 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P7P55D PRO
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free, Updated and Enabled

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.