Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a WD Caviar Black 650 GB HDD.

I've been using it with vista for a few months without any problems. But it was making a pretty loud read/writing noise when nothing was going on in vista... I thought that was just vista's fault for not managing the HDD properly.

Anyway, I tried to clean install win 7. After a few 'missing boot mgr' messages, I successfully installed win 7. From there I downloaded some starter things like drivers, google chrome, and so on.

But during my AVG free installation, the computer froze. Then I got the blue screen with all that text in it. I tried to reinstall windows 7 again and got some partition problems. Like it wasn't able to detect the HDD.

When it magically showed up a few tries later I again installed the OS. I went to the C: properties in the windows explorer to see if I can do some scans. One of the tabs, like tools, caused my computer to freeze again. After another fresh install, that same tab made everything freeze yet again.

Is there any other reason besides a dying hard drive? Let me know what to do next... please. Sorry for the lengthy story, I was trying to be thorough.

thanks

- It's a new custom built desktop. I don't remember all the specs, but let me know if it's helpful to you and I'll find out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I ran the WD diagnostics bootable CD.

First, I did what it says on their site. Select the drive. So I did that successfully (which means it was detected in some way).

Second, I tried the "write zeros to drive option." And that didn't work. Some error.

I then tried both the Quick and Extended tests and it found no errors. So I tried the Write Zeros to drive and that worked now.

But when I try to install windows 7, I get the same errors. This cycle, I'm getting the familiar:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

I've gotten through that error before, but it's still making me suspicious.

Currently, my bios has my HDD set to slave and my cd-rom set to master. I don't know if that matters for the type of problems I'm having. Please let me know what else I can do.

thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.