Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a newish Dell Optiplex 990 with Windows 7 Enterprise x64 installed on it and the past couple of weeks we have been getting BSOD on it. At first the frequency was every few days, now it's at least once per day. So something is definitly going on. Here is the information that I have collected so far:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
Local ID: 1033

Additioinal information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 0000000080000003
BCP2: FFFFF880044D78EB
BCP3: FFFFF880078A8C10
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product 255_1

I have verified that all patches have been applied, the latest BIOS is installed, and all of the latest drivers from Dell have been installed.

Attached is the minidump file and a screenshot of the System Event Log for it.

If anyone has a suggestion as to what the problem is I would be greatful!!

Thanks,
Lamar

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
1. rdbss.sys; System exception in System
Otherwise known as the Redirected Drive Buffering SubSystem Driver. Run HDD Diags: HD Diagnostic then report back to me the results, please.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I have done two things that should be very telling:

1. I took an image of the computer in question and put it on another Identical computer. So now I have the same environment running on completely different hardware with the exception of the Monitors (with USB Ports), USB Printer, USB Dymo Label printer, and Mouse. I would think that if the problem persists that it will be narrowed down to a Driver/Configuration issue - I'll let you know if the problem continues on the new computer.

2. On the original system I am now running (as requested) SeaTools on the Hard Drive. 1st I ran a quick check which passed. I am now running the long test and waiting for the result :popcorn:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Great! If it happens again let us know, but until then sit back and enjoy the world a PC can offer!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After completing the HD tests on the original computer it is still BSODing. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you have the Dump Files I will take a look, off the top of my head I think something may be causing a miss-fire, hence the rdbss error, it could be a virus, a dysfunctional driver or program, only way to tell will be with the new Dump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the information from the latest BSOD - I have also attached the Dump Files from the last three events and the XML file from the last event:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF880070400FA
BCP3: FFFFF8800A7E1D50
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\032112-43056-01.dmp
C:\Users\lamar\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-103678-0.sysdata.xml

I'm starting to wonder if the RAM is causing the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
These were all caused by a program called Altiris DS, Service Exception, I would consider figuring out what it belongs to and uninstalling/updating it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure I see how, but I uninstalled the Altiris agent and have been stressing the system by loading all sorts of programs and it has yet to BSOD.

Remember, I took an image of this machine and put it on an alternate machine of the same type so that I could experiment with this machine. It seems to me that the alternate machine would be showing the same problem because it's pretty much an exact duplicate of the machine in question, so it still makes me wonder.

As for the version of agent that was installed on the system it was for Altiris Deployment Solution 6.9 SP4 (well past 6.2 sp4). I guess I'll give it awhile and reinstall the DAgent and see if the problem resurfaces.

Any Way..... Thanks for your help in tracking down the apparent culprit!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ooops, I missed stated in my last post. I'm really running Deployment Solution 6.9 SP5 MR1 (which happens to be the latest release of Deployment Solution 6.9)

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,089 Posts
As long as it's newer then 6.4sp4 it should work, if you reinstall and have the issue again I would put a support ticket in at Altiris the program is causing a conflict with another driver either by overwriting it's address space or trying run the same task at the same time using the same resources(like running 2 AV programs at the same time can cause a BSOD)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a similar issue with a Win 7 x64 system, the error logs say it is a AMD video driver update error. I pulled the video card and the heat sink looks damaged. I re-connected the monitor using the on-board display port. I have uninstalled all the ATI/AMD drivers and the ATI CCC software. I'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Create a new topic and we'll help out, less room for confusion, also take a picture of the damaged hardware in question.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.