Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I first experienced this problem a couple of weeks after upgrading from Vista to W7 on a Vaio laptop.
The sequence of events is always the same: I'm entering numbers into a secure https site and suddenly the keyboard freezes. I can't enter anything into any other programs, then shortly after I lose all networking. When I shut down the shutdown screen hangs for ages then I get the BSOD with the above error.

Worse: after this the laptop won't reboot at all - unless I remove the power supply AND the battery first.

This happened a couple of times on the first day (4th Dec), then only twice since, including today.

I found this site and started to prepare the TSF_Vista_Support files and ran perfmon. When I ran that I got this message:
A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from working properly.
Details: The device, sptd, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr24". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\LEGACY_SPTD\0000.

So...I thought it would be a good idea to update the sptd driver as suggested in the report, which I did from duplexsecure. All looked good - I re-ran perfmon and the error was gone. To try it out, I returned to the secure site and started to enter my credit card details - and horror of horrors this time the whole computer froze solid. I forced a shutdown - no blue screen and I could restart but was advised to start in Safe mode, which I am in now.

In Safe mode I can enter whatever I like into the secure site. I've run the batch file and 2zip files are attached (hope running it in safe mode is ok?). However, I can't run perfmon in safe mode, but my previous report is in the zip file (the one with the sptd error). I can send a new one assuming I can log back in normally.

All not looking too good - any help and advice very gratefully received.

Ondine.

Attachments

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft MVP
7,483 Posts
Can you log into Windows? How about Safe Mode?
There's also an error with SPLDR - but DON'T try to fix it! :0)

The errors seem to stem from your CD/DVD drive (CDROM.SYS) and may also have a USB component (USBSTOR.SYS). If you have a USB CD/DVD drive, I'd suspect that that was the issue. This item from .nfo file seems to fit that bill: Name Optiarc BD ROM BC-5500A USB Device

Unplug the device from your system, and uninstall any software that you may have installed for it. Then run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt

Here's the peril of upgrade installations. What follows is a list of older drivers that may not be working well with Win7. One, in fact, is causing me to pull my hair out at work (BSOD's and no way to repair it - it's the SFEP.SYS file listed below):
Code:
iaStor.sys   Tue Apr 15 20:07:31 2008 
PxHelp20.sys Mon Dec 10 18:48:39 2007
RTKVHDA.sys  Thu Apr 24 06:17:34 2008
HSXHWAZL.sys Fri Dec 22 14:49:02 2006
HSX_DPV.sys  Fri Dec 22 14:50:21 2006
HSX_CNXT.sys Fri Dec 22 14:48:52 2006
ArcSoftKsUFilter.sys Wed Jan 30 04:32:05 2008
RtHDMIV.sys  Mon Apr 14 05:52:37 2008
risdptsk.sys Fri Feb 22 07:35:52 2008
rimsptsk.sys Wed Mar 12 06:43:06 2008
Apfiltr.sys  Wed Dec 12 04:01:21 2007
[U]SFEP.sys     Fri Aug 03 01:36:08 2007[/U]
lmimirr.sys  Tue Apr 10 18:32:11 2007
RaInfo.sys   Fri Jan 04 13:57:12 2008 
LMIRfsDriver.sys Mon Jul 14 12:26:22 2008
mdmxsdk.sys  Mon Jun 19 17:26:59 2006
regi.sys     Mon Apr 16 11:19:05 2007
xaudio.sys   Tue Nov 28 19:44:50 2006
Please follow my suggestions and post back with the results. We can run further tests to rule out the SFEP.SYS file if necessary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Thanks for your response - I'm not at the problem pc now so will run the tests later, however I can confirm that:

There is no external dvd attached, I only have an internal one. The only peripheral is a Canon Ip4000 printer.

And I can now successfully open Windows in regular mode.

Thanks.

Ondine

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again

Back at my pc, can now confirm that the Optiarc BD ROM is my internal DVD drive. According to Device Manager it is working properly. I searched for an updated driver but was windows told me I had the most up to date driver.

So, I haven't run SFC.EXE as I'm not sure about uninstalling it. Should I run it anyway?

The strange thing is the fact that this is always triggered by entering data in a secure website. I can't find anything online about anyone else experiencing this. Could it be something to do with SSL?

Ondine.

·
7,483 Posts
Right click on the Optiarc BD ROM drive and select Uninstall.
Reboot the system and let Windows re-detect it.

Run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW now, it won't hurt the system and can fix a lot of things (last I looked it was over 2,000 files that it checked).

What (if any) of the older drivers that I mentioned are associated with security functions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I uninstalled the driver for the Optiarc BD ROM, and Windows did detect it on reboot and installed a driver. Then I ran SFC.EXE /SCANNOW. I was a bit suprised when it went through the verification process up to 100% and then the window just closed - there was no message or report of any kind. I ran it again just to be sure, with the same result.

So - I went onto my bank's website to see if the problem still occurred and sadly once again, after entering some digits for my password and pin etc the timer started and the whole pc froze solid. I shut down and restarted - it started up fine this time, didn't prompt me to start up in safe mode.

There seems to be nothing in the Event Log, other than an entry logged after I restarted: "The previous system shutdown at 18:56:59 on ‎18/‎12/‎2009 was unexpected."

Not sure where to go from here...any suggestions?

·
7,483 Posts
SFC.EXE is funny that way - when everything's OK it'll just close.
I run it from an elevated command prompt to keep it from closing.

Let's see if we can get a report from MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK - I ran MSINFO32, and the report is attached.

I'm going away in a couple of days for 3 weeks :)
so if we don't get to the bottom of this before then we can resume mid Jan - maybe giving the pc a holiday will help it heal!

Thanks for your continued interest

Ondine.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok...I think we can be pretty sure it's the DVD ROM. It's actually listed as a USB DVD, even though it's an internal drive, for some strange reason. I uninstalled it in Device Manager and disconnected the mouse and other usb stuff, and could enter data into the https site. Then, I restarted the pc and the driver loaded and voila, the system froze. To double check, with the DVD drive uninstalled and other USB things connected I had no problem.

So - not sure where this leads us, do I need to take this up with Sony?

Unless the snow defeats us tomorrow I should be heading to Hong Kong - shall we meet again after 12th Jan? Have a good Xmas and New Year!

Ondine.

·
7,483 Posts
Can you remove the CD/DVD/BD drive from the laptop?
Have you tried updating the motherboard/chipset drivers (available from the Sony support website)?

What we know is that the current system configuration won't allow you to use the drive. This could be a problem with the drive, or a problem with the software installed on the system, or a problem with some other piece of hardware on the system.

Talking w/Sony will at least get you started on a repair - although they may suggest other software tests/installations before taking it back in for repair.

Good luck to you and have happy holidays.

·
7,483 Posts
1 or 2 screws on the bottom of a laptop will free the drive.
Then a gentle pull will remove it from the casing.

There's usually one towards that back of the drive (near the center of the laptop case). And there may be another near where the slide opens.

The point of removing the drive is to see if it stops the crashes. If it does, then it's the drive or the motherboard drivers that are causing the issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi

Now back from holiday and things have unfortunately gone from bad to worse! The day after I got back all seemed OK (so long as I stayed away from https) but when I shut down the problems started: Windows was installing 'update 1 of 3' and this seemed to be taking forever. Eventually I gave up waiting and went to bed. The following morning I saw that the laptop had not shut down - just a black screen and the power was on. I had to force a shutdown and reboot. It seemed to boot OK, started loading startup items and then halfway through loading Outlook the screen went misty white and the computer hung. There was no alternative but to shut down again, but every time I went back in the same thing happened fairly soon after booting up. I tried to disable the windows updates, which I thought might have caused the problem, but the system would not stay up long enough to do it.

Initially I could boot in safe mode, and did a system restore twice, back to just before I went away. This didn't solve the problem. I tried disabling as many drivers as possible (and removed the dvd-rom physically) but still couldn't boot normally.

Then, worse, I couldn't boot in safe mode either - the system would load as far as classpnp.sys and then hang, and then would restart in normal mode and the whole loop would start again. I've googled for answers on this, there seem to be lots of different possible solutions for the classpnp.sys issue but none seem to work.

At the moment I'm working on Linux boot cd so I can get some work done via terminal server and email etc, but am feeling pretty sure that I might have to do a complete restore back to Vista. I can't mount the NTFS driver in Linux either - 'Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use' because Windows didn't shut down cleanly. I can force it to mount but would rather not in case it damages my files.

I have a feeling there may not be a simple solution to this....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi there

I thought I ought to add a postscript to this whole saga.
I resisted the temptation to reinstall Windows - I noticed that windows hung when Windows Update kicked in, and eventually found that if I disabled the Windows Update service I could keep the pc up and running.

Additionally, I discovered that I had a very problematic file in Windows/Installer which was logged by Avast when I ran a boot scan ("OLE archive corrupted"). This .msp file - an office patch I think - was so corrupted that even hovering my mouse over it caused the system to completely lock up, with the processor making a distinctive ticking sound. I couldn't scan the folder or move the file either - same result. I felt sure this was causing the problem with Windows Update and eventually I resolved to get rid of the file and deleted it via DOS - using the /F option.

Once I'd done that the whole problem went away - windows update ran properly and no hanging. I also updated the DVD Rom firmware and some other files through Vaio update. I did have a residual problem for a few days whereby the pc hung when unattended for a longish period - on screensaver usually - but that seems to have resolved itself (this seems to be quite a common problem with W7).

And, I now no longer have the old issue when visiting secure sites either. Happily, windows is running very nicely for now!

Ondine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.