Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Dell XPS 64 Bit Desktop only a few months old. It came with Vista Home Premium and then Dell sent an upgrade disk for Windows 7 which has been running flawlessly until today. I was online reading an article on the Consumers Reports Website when everything suddenly froze. I had to shut down manually using the on/off button. Since then, I have tried starting up and, although I get to my desktop homepage, I cannot open any software or go on line. My mouse moves around and the clock icon is ticking away, but I cannot access anything. I use AVG paid edition and that scans everyday for viruses. I have shut down and booted up again numerous times, but to no avail. I called Dell Gold Tech support and, instead of trying to help me, they had the nerve to tell me the Windows 7 upgrade they sent me was not so good and that was why I was having problems. Their solution? I should buy the most expensive full version of Windows 7 for their "discounted" price of $320!!!

I have emailed AVG but have not heard back from them yet. I am writing this from my Dell laptop which is also running an version of Win 7 Professional, upgraded from XP, and is working just fine. (The Dell guy also wanted to sell me a disk for a full Win 7 version for this computer too!)

I do have a hard drive back-up, but it only works manually, so I am worried that I will lose my latest files if I cannot fix this problem. I suspect that I should probably try to open my computer up in safe mode, but cannot remember how to do that or what to do next.

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

JJ

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.