Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,
can anyone help how to configure windows 2003 server as a domain controller?
I installed a windows 2003 server and configured the active directory as a domain controller. I want to make the server as file server for each user in such a way that any user doesnt have the previlige to access other user's files. I don't want roaming profile. I just want each user to have a network map like ( Z:\) in 'my computer' of the workstation. I tried to put a shared folder direction in the usr's profile like '\\myserver\sharedfolder\%username%'. I can get the folder in the workstation computer but the problem is- from that workstation, as a user, I can access other use's files-that annoyed me very much.

Can anyone help me how to resolve this problem?
thank you,

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Hello and welcome to TSF.

You can control access to folders and files by applying an Access Control List (ACL) to them. This is commonly done by right-clicking on the folder/file and selecting the Security tab. From there, you can add users and give them Allow/Deny rights. To make it easier, having the users as members of a group and referencing that group in the ACL will apply it to all of those users, even if you get more users (so long as they are a member of that group). You can create/manage users and groups by accessing Active Directory Users & Computers in the Administrative Tools.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have hunders of users....

thank you cellus,
Still there will be a problem..cuz If you give the same privilege to a group all members will have access to all files in that folder including other user's personal file....I can't do access control for each user since I have hunders of users......If you are familiar with Linux ( particularly Redhat), whenever you create a user account, automatically it creates a new folder for that user in the Home directory,sothat all his files will be stored in that folder. So, the new user will not have access to other user's files...whether it is FTP or telnel or whatever.
That is what I want in windows 2003 server, but not for FTP or Telnet purpose.....when a user logs in from the workstation he has to get a Map letter like (Z:\) and this map should contain his own files only.

thank you,

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
You still will need to set permission for shares for each the folder. As far as I know the only way around this is to create a script that will run when the user logs on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.