Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hardware: Dell Poweredge 1500SC, P3 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, 4-36.5GB SCSI HDD in RAID 5 config.

Software: Windows 2000 Server SP4, Norton Antivirus Corporate 9.0, Eaglesoft (Sybase based dental software), ARCserve 2000, APC Powerchute.

Symptoms: Sever is up and responding to user requests. Eaglesoft Database server is running and responding normally. DNS, DHCP, TCP/IP all appear to be functioning normally. However... Norton Antirvirus auto protect will not enable, Control Panel won't open, I can't get to network connections, Internet Explorer will open but never opens a page... it just sits there with the flag waving away. Event viewer shows no problems at all. Certain services such as the installer service will not start... after about a minute of attempting to start a message is returend saying that the service did not respond in a timely manner. I can't change the startup options for services either. Without the installer service I can't install new software that relies on the service.

My initial reaction is that this is a virus problem. It is as if strategic portions of Windows 2000 server have been disabled. However, this server has been running Norton Antivirus Corporate edtion 9.0 for almost a year. The virus defenitions are up to date, and I can do a scan of the local drives that comes up clean.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or possibly someone else who has seen something like this, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nave911

·
Registered
796 Posts
wiiigiiii

Check out your processes in the Task Manager and see if there is something there that doesn't belong. You may be the proud owner of a brand new undiscovered virus, or some malicious internal hacking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Running Processes

These are the processes running presently. Nothing jumps out at me as being out of place...

apc_host.exe
asdscsvc.exe
ati2plxx.exe
casmrtbk.exe
CSRSS.EXE
DBENG.EXE
dbsrv7.exe
DefWatch.exe
dfssvc.exe
DNS.EXE
ESMsgServer.exe
explorer.exe
ismserv.exe
jobeng.exe
liccheck.exe
LSSRV.EXE
LOCATOR.EXE
LogWatNT.exe
LSASS.EXE
mr2kserv.exe
msdtc.exe
msgeng.exe
mstask.exe
NMSSVC.EXE
ntfrs.exe
pbeagent.exe
pbeserver.exe
pds.exe
PROMON.EXE
qttask.exe
rds.exe
regsvc.exe
Rtvscan.exe
SERVICES.EXE
SMSS.EXE
SNMP.EXE
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
tapeeng.exe
TASKMGR.EXE
tcpsvcs.exe
VPTray.exe
VxSvc.exe
WINLOGON.EXE

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem

hi,

i have the same problem on 2 servers with 2000, veritas et norton.
Veritas is running since 10 days and i can't stop the process to eject the data...
Norton is disable but up to date.
I can't update windows online but i try to installmanually last crtical patches of august but the installation don't work....
i can't kill any process running.
On 1 server, i reboot but it's worst... i can't access to internet, to the control panel, to explorer....

do u find a solution or anyone know what i need to do!
thanx for any answer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem still exisits...

Has anyone figured out a solution to this problem. Given the posts on this and other forums, this seems to be a spreading problem. Thoughts??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Had a similar problem, solved it by booting the 2000 Server in Safe Mode and then disabling the two APC Services. The one for the Server and the one for Client. Then started the Server again normally. Everything worked perfectly after disabling these to services. There is a problem with the APC Powerchute ver 6 Software, install ver 7 then and all will be ok.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Giuseppe

just a note of thanks for providing the resolution to this problem. I was onsite at a client business and noticed their Windows 2000 server was behaving strangely as described in this thread. The APC upgrade worked a treat.

Gerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.