Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

I am in the process of purchasing a used IBM thinkpad 600E 366MHZ, 128 Mb Ram, 10 Gb hard drive.

Is the above specs enough to run 2000 on? This is for my 12 yr old daughter, and she wont be doing anything heavy duty on it.
Thank you,
Steve

·
retired
1,966 Posts
yep, though you will likely want more memory-but that can be added later (256 meg of ram will work better and 512 meg is optimum.)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I have Win2k loaded on a Twinhead Pentium 266 laptop with 128MB of memory and what Resolution has said is very true. Not a pleasant experience. Most of it is programs loading slow. But even surfing the internet is not pleasant. Web pages take time to load. Some of todays website are pretty intensive compared to what was on the net 7 years ago when these laptops came out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am doing basically the same thing on a Compaq Armada E500, 700Mhz Intel PIII, 128 Meg, 19 gig HDD. Or, at least I am thinking about it. I am debating on whether or not to do the upgrade or the clean install. I have done both on an HP pavillion before (500MHZ processor), and the results were actually better than I had expected, at least with the clean install. The upgrade did not do too well. The onle thing that I am gonna do with this is Word Processing excel spreadsheets, and connection to the server at work.

Not trying to steal the thread here, but should I upgrade or do a clean install? I have already downloaded all of the drivers that I think I need for this thing, but am almost...scared to do it on this laptop for some reason. Also, could I put 2000 Pro on a seperate partition (I guess dual boot) in case it doesn't take well? On the laptop itself it does say that it is "designed for windows 2000 PRO or Windows 98.

Thanks for the input, and sorry if I stole the thread.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
honestly mustang, i have a dell inspiron 4000, with a 600mhz processor, and 128 megs ram, and a 10 gig hard disk, and i have tried 95, 98, 98se, 2000, xp, and 3 flavors of linux on it.

i can tell you that amazingly enough, it runs xp better than it runs win2000.

win2000 takes about 3 minutes to boot up, and then it's still slow.

seems win2000 can't manage on 128 megs very well.

with your 366 mhz machine, win98se would be the obvious choice for such a slow processor though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.