Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain what the differences are between windows versions 64 bit , Windows 11 home and any other types.
I’m trying to navigate versions for a new computer.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Can someone explain what the differences are between windows versions 64 bit , Windows 11 home and any other types.
I’m trying to navigate versions for a new computer.
Thanks
You are not going to find any 32-bit versions of Windows 11 or any 32-bit versions of Windows 10 unless they are installed on an old computer with less than 4 GB of RAM. You shouldn't buy one of these computers, no matter how cheap the price, as they won't ever be up-gradable to Win 11, oftentimes won't run newer software, and even if they do will run it woefully slowly as compared to a modern system.

As for Windows 11 versions:

·
Moderator , Security Team
2,326 Posts
64 bit basically means that the processor and its related hardware runs on a 64 bit data bus, ie it processes data 64 bits at a time. It's the default for pretty much all new home computers.

Older machines used a 32 bit bus, which meant data was processed 32 bits at a time, which was much slower.

Regarding the different versions of W11, you may find the following useful

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,227 Posts
All Processors are 64 bit and have been since the early 00's. Computers that were built with 4 GB of RAM or less and are older, used to run 32 bit versions of Windows. 32 bit Windows can only recognize 4GB of RAM or less. Most modern computers run 64 bit Windows and usually are shipped with 8 GB of RAM or more. Windows 11 has specific hardware requirements so you won't find a computer running Windows 11 32 bit. There are other versions of Windows 10 and 11 as well as the link in Post #3, here is another list and explanation Windows 11 Editions List & Comparison | Windows 11 Versions

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,669 Posts

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,669 Posts

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,547 Posts
Unless you're running a home business or need to get stuff from one computer to another, Home is all you need.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can I hijack this thread for a moment?
Because I literally wanted to create a thread with the exact same title.

In my case it's not about x86 or x64 bit, it's instead about the build numbers.
As this thread has a very general title, it would be good to combine my question with OP's question.

So I understand, there are Windows OS, like Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows 11.
Then there are versions, like Windows 11 22H1 and Windows 11 22H2.
Then there are build numbers, such as 22621.898

The question is: What is the bold marked number behind the build?
I'm currently in a project of adding offline-languages to Windows 11, and it is said, that the build number is important for that. But is that .898 an important part of the build number? Because for many Microsoft Store apps, and for the offline-languages, too, there is no specific version released for that. So what do the last digits of the build contain? Can that number be ignored?

·
Registered
90 Posts
The last four digits are the last cumulative update installed.
So they are rather fixing bugs, improving performance instead of bringing new stuff?
That means I should be save, using "outdated" apps in my case.

So if I was told, I need to use the same build from the app as the build of the Windows is, then I am technically in a grey-zone, right? Because the actual build in that case is 22621, while the minor changes of the .898 shouldn't make too much chaos with the "outdated" apps?

If that's the case, I will just keep it like that.
Because it if works, it works, and if it won't, it don't.

·
Moderator , Security Team
2,326 Posts
Build numbers are important to updating Windows. If you replace damaged files with identically named ones from a different build, then you will almost certainly have problems updating windows.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts