Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister upgraded her laptop Win 10 to Win 11. Seemed to work ok yesterday 12/13 but this morning 12/14 there is no cursor - can not do anything. Her laptop is Aspire 5.
How to fix? or how to Go Back to Windows 10.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Without a cursor. clicked the Windows + i - could only use arrows up and down. Finally went to search at top & typed recovery. - was finally able to click Go Back to Windows 10 - seemed to be working then a Windows popup stated - Why - but without a cursor could do nothing. So hit Esc - screen left & I was able to click - Go Back to Windows 10 - but same thing keeps happening - with the Windows popup.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,120 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CTRL key did nothing. Her laptop is not a touchscreen so it is necessary to use the mouse cursor. Thanks for trying.
When I hit the CTRL key - nothing came up, nothing happened. {Now on my laptop hitting the CTRL does show me where the cursor is.}
And since I can not click on internet - I can not even download anything.
{If my sister had said anything to me - I would have told her to NOT upgrade to W11 - because the company waits for customers to have the problems then let us try & fix. - Yes I have used windows & MS office for many moons.......}

·
Global Moderator
43,120 Posts
Restart the computer holding down the Shift key. If Windows starts to load, hold the power button until it shuts down and start it again. After 3 times you should get the Troubleshooting menu. Here go to Advanced. First try a Startup Repair. If that fails, go to Advance Startup, choose Safe Mode with Networking. See if the cursor is there, You can also choose to Go Back to Previous Version and reload Windows 10.
If you couldn't get to the Troubleshooting menu with the above method, You can also go onto another computer, download the Windows 11 ISO Image and burn the image to a USB Flash Drive using the Media Creation Tool on the same page Put the Flash drive into the troubled computer and boot the computer with it. Choose your Language then choose Repair Your Computer to get there.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Restart the computer holding down the Shift key. If Windows starts to load, hold the power button until it shuts down and start it again. After 3 times you should get the Troubleshooting menu. Here go to Advanced. First try a Startup Repair. If that fails, go to Advance Startup, choose Safe Mode with Networking. See if the cursor is there, You can also choose to Go Back to Previous Version and reload Windows 10.
If you couldn't get to the Troubleshooting menu with the above method, You can also go onto another computer, download the Windows 11 ISO Image and burn the image to a USB Flash Drive using the Media Creation Tool on the same page Put the Flash drive into the troubled computer and boot the computer with it. Choose your Language then choose Repair Your Computer to get there.
Attempted to do what you wrote. Screens not look the same.

12/15/21 6pm
Recovery screen -I clicked - - see advanced repair options"
System Restore - I clicked - - Next
Restore your computer to the state it was in before the selected event -
Only thing that was listed - "12/14 7am Windows Modules Installer"
So I restored it. But nothing changed. Still no mouse/cursor.

12/16/21 1pm
Several tries shift/start
Tried just start several times. Screen came up saying starting repair then went away. Then signup screen, so I signed in & then held start button 2 close.

Tried again - button/shiftname - "acer pops up then goes away"
Stopped using shift & used hit start button - to open - but keeps having the "acer popup & goes away"
Did this several times. -
I will download the Windows 11 OS image - maybe that will help.
Letting it 'rest' for awhile.
{TV is showing MacGyver - 1st one- & I am beginning to think I need him - 😂 - Mybe you are the MacGyver I need}

·
Global Moderator
43,120 Posts
You also can download the Windows 10 ISO image and burn that to a USB Flash Drive with the Media Creation Tool on that same page if you prefer.
If Repair fails, then the HDD may be failing. If you can back up your files, you can wipe the drive and do a Clean Install of Windows 10 or 11.
Before doing that, if you can boot from the Windows installer, choose your Language, then hold the Shift button and press F10, this will give you the Command Prompt. There are some commands to test the HDD/SSD.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You also can download the Windows 10 ISO image and burn that to a USB Flash Drive with the Media Creation Tool on that same page if you prefer.
If Repair fails, then the HDD may be failing. If you can back up your files, you can wipe the drive and do a Clean Install of Windows 10 or 11.
Before doing that, if you can boot from the Windows installer, choose your Language, then hold the Shift button and press F10, this will give you the Command Prompt. There are some commands to test the HDD/SSD.
Now can not get anywhere - holding down Shift then Power key - just acer comes up then goes away.
So troed Shift & F10 then power key - did get Recovery screen - see advanced repair options - had 3 choices and clicked on USB - but then screen said did not have - even though USB is working & had a different HDD connected - with W11 (1st notes} - so had to close.
🥴As for possibility of HDD dying - then it is because of W11 and all my messing with her laptop - just to find & use the mouse/cursor. "screeming" --- ok I will live now.

My sister does not have anything to save/backup. She just plays games on her laptop and goes on the internet. I am going to check & see if I kept an external mouse (thought I got rid of all my computer 'stuff') but will check.

·
Global Moderator
43,120 Posts
First make sure the USB Flash drive Installer will boot another computer. To boot off of it in an Acer, and most other computers other then HP, insert Flash drive, start computer and press F12 Continuously. You should get a Boot menu where you can switch first boot device. If the USB Flash drive shows, select it and the computer should boot from the Flash drive.
Here you choose your Language, in the next screen click Repair Your Computer. This will bring up the Troubleshooting menu go Advanced. A few options here, Startup Repair; Restore to Previous Version of Windows (10), System Restore; Advanced Startup (ie) Safe Mode; and Command Prompt. You can run a Check Disk in Command Prompt (ie) type chkdsk /R and press enter then type a Y for Yes. This will take a long time but it may repair any bad sectors and orphaned files. If it takes overnight, the drive should be replaced.
Or you can skip Repair and go to the next screens Custom Install, in Where to Install Windows Delete ALL of the partitions, so the drive is Unallocated Space, then press Next, this will do a Clean Install of Windows

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First make sure the USB Flash drive Installer will boot another computer. To boot off of it in an Acer, and most other computers other then HP, insert Flash drive, start computer and press F12 Continuously. You should get a Boot menu where you can switch first boot device. If the USB Flash drive shows, select it and the computer should boot from the Flash drive.
Here you choose your Language, in the next screen click Repair Your Computer. This will bring up the Troubleshooting menu go Advanced. A few options here, Startup Repair; Restore to Previous Version of Windows (10), System Restore; Advanced Startup (ie) Safe Mode; and Command Prompt. You can run a Check Disk in Command Prompt (ie) type chkdsk /R and press enter then type a Y for Yes. This will take a long time but it may repair any bad sectors and orphaned files. If it takes overnight, the drive should be replaced.
Or you can skip Repair and go to the next screens Custom Install, in Where to Install Windows Delete ALL of the partitions, so the drive is Unallocated Space, then press Next, this will do a Clean Install of Windows
clicking F12 or anything other - not working on her laptop. But I learned a lot from all the posts - just did not work without the mouse pad and had problems trying to start and hold down shift or the F10, F11, or F12. So I do want to thank you for your posts despite not working on her laptop.

I had her buy an ext. mouse w/cord & finally was able to uninstall Win11. Only now the mouse pad is not working so she's having to use the ext. mouse. Tried going to mouse options - but all looks ok - still do not know why mouse pad not working. Any ideas because it was working just fine before she upgraded to Win11 but uninstalling W11 and taking it back to W10 has not brought back the mouse pad.

·
Global Moderator
43,120 Posts
What is the make and model# of the Acer laptop?
Press the Windows key +X and choose Device Manager. Here are there any devices with yellow Flags? If so, they need drivers. You would need to go to the Acer download site, type in your make and model # and download the Chipset driver, install it and restart the computer, then return to this page and download the Touchpad Driver, and any other drivers needed from the Device Manager

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is the make and model# of the Acer laptop?
Press the Windows key +X and choose Device Manager. Here are there any devices with yellow Flags? If so, they need drivers. You would need to go to the Acer download site, type in your make and model # and download the Chipset driver, install it and restart the computer, then return to this page and download the Touchpad Driver, and any other drivers needed from the Device Manager
I did get to Device mgr - as shown abbove. But there were no yellow flags on the drivers. I did have my sister go out & buy a mouse w/cord. - I was then able to take laptop back to Win10 - Also upgraded - need to see if more Win10 upgrades need to be done. Mine is up to date and her screen that comes up after clicking the window -far left on toolbar - is black while mine is a light gray. ---- The problem - her mouse pad still does not work. In Device Mgr there are 2 mouse drivers - I removed one, rebooted and this driver came back (as it was suppose to), then I removed the 2nd driver & did the same. - Still mouse pad does not work. Worked just fine before she upgraded to Win11 - makes no sense. if you have any other ideas, please share. Otherwise she will have to just use the mouse w/cord - which she does not like. {I may have to see if I can replace the mouse pad - Will have to view a 'how to' before I think I can do it - sounds like maybe I shouldn't but I'll see.

·
Global Moderator
43,120 Posts
go to the Acer download site, type in your make and model # and download the Chipset driver, install it and restart the computer, then return to this page and download the Touchpad Driver, and any other drivers needed from the Device Manager
Did you follow the instructions in the Quote? Try them and see how you get on.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for reminding me. Her laptop is series: A515-44 {model N18Q13 SNID: D101585276 - but these 2 found zero} So just used the series. Downloaded both Touchpad drivers (not sure which brand yet, will delete the one I do not need). Scroll to the top & it says that Before installing Touchpad driver, please install Serial I/O driver first. No where to find serial I/O driver. So what do I do? Go ahead & find the brand touchpad driver I need & install - or do I need the serial I/O driver first. Thank you.

·
Global Moderator
43,120 Posts
Here is the Aspire Download Page for your model Product Support | Acer United Kingdom Here, Please Select your Windows OS version; and download the Chipset, Trackpad and Serial I/O driver, and any other drivers that are needed from the Device Manager

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is the Aspire Download Page for your model Product Support | Acer United Kingdom Here, Please Select your Windows OS version; and download the Chipset, Trackpad and Serial I/O driver, and any other drivers that are needed from the Device Manager
Link goes to Aspire A515-54 sister's is -55 but I'm guessing have the same drivers. You list Trackpad but guessing you mean Touchpad.

I went to link above. {Win 10 - 64bit}. downloaded Touchpad (2) and serial I/O drivers.
There is 2 Chipset drives - I downloaded both - 1 for gen10 CPU and the other for gen8 CPU - not sure which should use. Still not certain which Touchpad - one is synaptics, the other elantech. I cked Mouse in Device mgr & both were manufactured by MSN - a couple of things I saw when I searched further - could be synaptics but not certain.

I tried to install IO driver - a black screen popped up - {was I suppose to type in something? Nothing was there.}
Tried the Reinstall Driver - looked like the black screen but flickered on then off quickly.
Then I went to Setup SerialIO - another popup. Then clicked on "Install" and got a blue popup warning me not to run. {Running this app might put your pc at risk.} So I quit.

Opened the Win10 folder within the I/O files I downloaded - figured should not mess with any of those files.
* I did upgrade my laptop & my sister's laptop Windows - which I believe were out in Nov or Dec - no changes on mine or sister's laptop. * And sue's touchpad still not work - at least now she has the ext mouse w/cord but not happy with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just a thought....laptop touchpads can be disabled either in Windows 10 software, or some models have an actual keyboard function to disable touchpads. I have had several clients complain about weird things happening when they are using Microsoft Word. The cause was that they were brushing the touchpad as they typed. The remedy was to disable the touchpad.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts