Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My primary user name disappeared from the boot up login screen. There is a MS Edge account shown that I've never used, though I may have set up long ago and do not have a P/W for it.

I know the P/W for my primary user account, which is also an Admin account.

How can I recover either my primary user or admin account name to login in?

Thanks for any / all help.

· Moderator Hardware Team
14,511 Posts
If you don't know your user name then I am puzzled. If you get login screen then simply type in user name in appropriate line.
it's not that he doesn'y know his user name . it's not listed on the log in screen meaning the name of the user.

To OP i would check and see if you can log into safe mode.

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,618 Posts
Your User Profile may have become corrupted and Windows loaded a Default profile.

· Moderator , Security Team
2,431 Posts
Did you get any kind of message on screen ?

Usually if Windows cannot load your User profile it will assign you a temporary profile, and you should get a message of the form ....

We can't sign into your account
You've been signed in with a temporary profile.
If that is the case, then the following article may be of help ....

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your User Profile may have become corrupted and Windows loaded a Default profile.
The article helped but I'm not able to log in yet. Following the instructions in the link you supplied I did the Regedit to the ProfileImagePath for the User that appears to be corrupted. The STATE value shown was 100 Hex, not 1 Hex as the instructions said it would be. I did change the value to 0 Hex and created the RefCount and set it to 0.

It got interesting when I restarted the system. In safe mode my first and last name appeared on the screen as the user and the password for the corrupted user account worked to log in to Safe Mode. However, when I rebooted out of safe mode neither my corrupted user name nor my first and last name appeared. So, I seem to be back to square one.

Suggestions appreciated!

· Global Moderator
44,618 Posts
If able to login Safe Mode, Enable the Hidden Administrator account and login normally with that. Here is another link that may help you fix your profile Windows 10 Profile Repair |5 Ways to Fix a Corrupted User Profile - EaseUS
If you can login with the Admin account, you may just want to create a New User and copy your personal files (ie) Documents, Pictures etc, to the new Profile, log out as Hidden Admin and login as New User. You then can Disable the Hidden Admin again and delete your non working profiles

· Global Moderator
44,618 Posts
pbug56 This question is not part of the Thread conversation and you should start a new thread. But to answer your question; Much like Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge allows you to login to their Microsoft account in Edge. This will save all of your Settings, Bookmarks, Passwords etc. across all other devices (ie) Laptop, Tablet, Smart Phone etc, that you use Microsoft Edge on when you login to Edge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.