Tech Support banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
41,748 Posts
You need to manually update your computer from a Windows installer USB Flash drive. the instructions are in post #20, #30 and #32 among many others.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Mine has been stuck with this error of the 20H2 update for the last two weeks.

2021-01 Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057) - Error 0x80070002

Other updates install on their own OK,
Is the error message affecting the performance of the device? Can you still access the internet and browse?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Today I had to update to version 20H2, not voluntarily, but it was a mandatory update included in the routine updates. I was a bit surprised but I had no other choice. It took 4 hours and 20 minutes. Another 35 minutes after restart (restarted thrice), following which there was also HP bios update. Otherwise everything seemed to go well .. and seems fine so far. Considering that, is the optional update of drivers (image attached) advisable?

Btw, previously whenever the device would finish scanning, it would appear on the notification side bar. It's not coming now even though notification button for "recent activity and scan results" is on. Any suggestions what to do to get the scan notifications?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,528 Posts
Please explain what notification. I don't believe in updating drivers if not necessary but if a caution shows in Device Manager, that's different.

·
Premium Member
41,748 Posts
whenever the device would finish scanning,
What app is scanning what device?
Glad to see you updated your computer to the latest Windows 10 version 20H2. There is no need to upgrade any drivers unless a device is not working properly. Sometimes Windows Update Drivers for devices are not compatible with the drivers that are provided by your computer or Motherboard manufacturer.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
What app is scanning what device?
Glad to see you updated your computer to the latest Windows 10 version 20H2. There is no need to upgrade any drivers unless a device is not working properly. Sometimes Windows Update Drivers for devices are not compatible with the drivers that are provided by your computer or Motherboard manufacturer.
Okay, many thanks spunk.funk. It does say that routine updates automatically update drivers. So I'll let it be at that.

About scanning i meant scanning the hard drive for threats with Windows security. But somehow that issue was resolved on its own. When I did the 'quick scan' this morning, I got the notification in the sidebar.

In regard to disk cleanup, why doesn't it cleanup completely? I did cleanup of unnecessary files but this 1 MB just stays (image attached). Previously 6 or 7 KB would remain. But now after update it always shows 1 MB remaining and doesn't clear up.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Please explain what notification. I don't believe in updating drivers if not necessary but if a caution shows in Device Manager, that's different.
I was referring to the sidebar notifications (screenshot). After update it was only giving 'restart' notifications. Previously it would give notifications of Win security scan results as well. However, since today that notification began coming.

Yes, as spunk funk also suggested, I won't click on the optional update for driver. I viewed 'Devices' under settings, and it didn't say anything unusual.

Attachments

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,528 Posts
Highlight Thumbnails and you'll see an explanation.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Okay, I see. It says Windows keeps a copy of thumbnails to be displayed quickly when you open a folder .. if deleted will be recreated automatically as needed. So this means the moment I delete it, it's recreated.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
7,649 Posts
Okay, I see. It says Windows keeps a copy of thumbnails to be displayed quickly when you open a folder .. if deleted will be recreated automatically as needed. So this means the moment I delete it, it's recreated.
No, it does not say "the moment I delete it, it's recreated."

It says it will be "will be recreated automatically as needed".

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
.... Perhaps I need to click on "clean up system files" after highlighting 'thumbnails'. But I'm not sure, so I'll leave it.

·
7,649 Posts

·
7,649 Posts
"Clean Up System Files ... is designed to help you regain valuable hard disk space by removing system files that are no longer necessary to the functioning of the operating system--old installation files, Windows Update leftovers, and outdated device drivers, just to name a few. "

Source: How to clean up system files with the Windows 10 Disk Cleanup tool.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
"Clean Up System Files ... is designed to help you regain valuable hard disk space by removing system files that are no longer necessary to the functioning of the operating system--old installation files, Windows Update leftovers, and outdated device drivers, just to name a few. "

Source: How to clean up system files with the Windows 10 Disk Cleanup tool.
This reminds me, is it a good idea to use the storage sense in Win 10 for automatic cleanup to gain disk space? This option is not activated in my pc.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts