Tech Support banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The Windows 10 OS is available for a Free Download from Microsoft, and you can burn your own Flash drive with the Media Creation Tool. You do not need to buy a flash drive with the Windows 10 OS on it. You can purchase the Windows 10 License (Product Key), if you don't have it.
The version of Windows 10 (ie) Pro or Home, is unlocked by the Product key that you use.
If you decide to buy Windows 10 USB flash drive, the seller should provide what Build (ie) 20H2, Of Windows 10 they are selling.
Thanks. I think for me it will be easier to buy. But they're not mentioning the versions, only Windows 10 Home or Pro.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,528 Posts
To add one thing to Spunks post, if you have to buy it, it will need a few (or many) updates to make it current. Other versions were discontinued and the average user doesn't need Enterprise.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I was on version 1909 for a long time, the upgrade seemed to be stuck.
I used Windows 10 Update Assistant to upgrade to 20H2 with great success and no hiccups. It took over 2 hours but all went smoothly. There was no need to install 2004 first, the Upgrade Assistant incorporated 2004 in the 20H2 upgrade.
I am now on 20H2 and all is running perfect.
I did a manual check for updates on my 1909 system. There was only one very small update, other than the 20H2 offering. It took seconds for the download and perhaps a minute for the install. It's running fine, as is, so I will leave it alone a while longer.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
To add one thing to Spunks post, if you have to buy it, it will need a few (or many) updates to make it current. Other versions were discontinued and the average user doesn't need Enterprise.
So, does this mean the latest versions of Windows 10 aren't available for purchase online?

·
28,528 Posts
So, does this mean the latest versions of Windows 10 aren't available for purchase online?
I don't think I or Spunk said that. Anything you download might need an update. No big deal.

·
28,528 Posts
I did a manual check for updates on my 1909 system. There was only one very small update, other than the 20H2 offering. It took seconds for the download and perhaps a minute for the install. It's running fine, as is, so I will leave it alone a while longer.
IMO, update to the latest version.

·
Registered
673 Posts
20H2 is getting "old" by now with all the bugs killed off - do not delay any longer with 20H2 if you don't want problems. I left 2004 a long time and MS took it away and left me in limbo. I had to use the Windows 10 Update Assistant to rid myself of the uncertainty and come bang up-to-date. I was then inundated with 20H2 updates but it all went fine.

·
Registered
671 Posts
20H2 is getting "old" by now with all the bugs killed off - do not delay any longer with 20H2 if you don't want problems. I left 2004 a long time and MS took it away and left me in limbo. I had to use the Windows 10 Update Assistant to rid myself of the uncertainty and come bang up-to-date. I was then inundated with 20H2 updates but it all went fine.
I think you may have meant 1909 or 2004 in your reply above. Sorry.

I have not had any issues with either 1909 or 2004. The last flavor I can recall having problems with was 1809. It is obvious to say that 17xx was a train-wreck from the start. I actually went back to Windows 7 for a time to wait for improvements in Windows 10.

I have external hard drives attached to both of my 10 systems and I do frequent drive image backups. If I have a major problem, I wipe the drive and restore the most recent backup. The external drives have their own power sources and I leave them turned off except when needed. This way, they are insulated if some type of malware or virus slips in.

I am a firm believer in the old adage of not fixing something which does not need it. I will carry on as is for a while longer. Thank you for your reply!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I don't think I or Spunk said that. Anything you download might need an update. No big deal.
Okay. Is that the regular daily updates?

Since I couldn't find Windows 10 Home or Pro online specifying the version, I thought you meant that backup will have to be updated in the latest version.

·
Premium Member
41,748 Posts
I couldn't find Windows 10 Home or Pro online specifying the version
The Windows 10 OS is available for a Free Download from Microsoft, and you can burn your own Flash drive with the Media Creation Tool.
The link provided in the Quote above is the Microsoft Download page for Windows 10 OS and should be the only version you should download, which is MediaCreationiTool20H2. Once you start the MCT Tool, you will have the choice of 64 bit, or 32 bit Windows or both. You can choose to burn it to a USB Flash drive or DVD or you can save the ISO image to your computer, where you can Right the image file choose Mount, where it will open a Virtual DVD drive and you double click Setup.exe to Upgrade the OS Keeping files, or to overwrite the current OS Without Keeping files.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The link provided in the Quote above is the Microsoft Download page for Windows 10 OS and should be the only version you should download, which is MediaCreationiTool20H2. Once you start the MCT Tool, you will have the choice of 64 bit, or 32 bit Windows or both. You can choose to burn it to a USB Flash drive or DVD or you can save the ISO image to your computer, where you can Right the image file choose Mount, where it will open a Virtual DVD drive and you double click Setup.exe to Upgrade the OS Keeping files, or to overwrite the current OS Without Keeping files.
As I had mentioned some time ago, my technological skills are poor (to say the least). I have no idea how to "burn it to usb flash drive" or etc. etc. as you very kindly mentioned. That's why I thought the simplest way out for me to have a backup would be to buy Windows10 OS in flash drive despite the cost. But I don't know why those online sources aren't specifying the version of Win 10 OS.

·
Premium Member
41,748 Posts
Here is a step by step guide. A Complete Guide to Windows 10 Media Creation Tool: How to Use Technical Knowledge is not required. Just follow the pictures and text. If you can't follow it, maybe a friend can do it for you or help you with it.
Of course, if this is all too complex for you, by all means purchase a ready made USB Flash drive from an Unknown source with an Unknown Build and an Unknown Product key

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Here is a step by step guide. A Complete Guide to Windows 10 Media Creation Tool: How to Use Technical Knowledge is not required. Just follow the pictures and text. If you can't follow it, maybe a friend can do it for you or help you with it.
Of course, if this is all too complex for you, by all means purchase a ready made USB Flash drive from an Unknown source with an Unknown Build and an Unknown Product key
Thanks for the guide. Will read it.

I meant buying the backup flash drive online either from Amazon or Best Buy or Staples. I thought these were reliable places.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Update Windows 10 to the newest version. The old Windows Defender was terrible. Now it is very good. Many other changes like that have improved security for Windows 10. You are very vulnerable to viruses and malware and hacking with the old Windows 10 without updates.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got a message in notification popup saying "your version of Windows 10 will soon reach the end of service .." screenshot attached. I am also attaching another screenshot which is probably the update (or is it upgrade) it's referring to.

Please advise what this is. Is it mandatory?
Just update to the latest version. 19042.867 is the latest build But keep and old drivers in a fold on your desktop as you may need them as something like your printer may not work, I have an old canon printer that still works even though its 10 years old.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I usually let new Windows versions exist with the public for about 8-10 weeks and then go ahead and do it. I would advise the OP to go ahead with this update. It will renew things. The big change you see might be with the colors. If you get the light-colored task bar change and want it back to dark, here's what to do. Right-click on the Desktop, choose Personalize. Select Colors. IN the middle choose Custom and then change "windows default mode" to Dark. While you're here, turn the Transparency Effects to off. With many slower processors, turning this off make a noticeable difference in snappiness.

Also... if you are satisfied with the update, you should get rid of old operating system files using Disk Cleanup. It could up major space sometimes as much as 30 GB. Run Disk Cleanup on C: then on the interface, choose Clean Up System Files - again on C:. Scroll down to where it says Old Windows Installations or something like that. If it's there, you 'll see it because there will be gigabytes shown instead of MB or KB. Checkmark this and click OK. You will be asked to confirm this decision. When deleting old operating systems, it will remind you that if you do this, you can't go back. Do it anyway.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got a message in notification popup saying "your version of Windows 10 will soon reach the end of service .." screenshot attached. I am also attaching another screenshot which is probably the update (or is it upgrade) it's referring to.

Please advise what this is. Is it mandatory?
I would be worried about a scam. My brother got a similar message and then one that said the windows was broken and ne needed to pay to get it replaced. Do NOT let anyone get on remotely.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine has been stuck with this error of the 20H2 update for the last two weeks.

2021-01 Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057) - Error 0x80070002

Other updates install on their own OK,

21 - 40 of 68 Posts