Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a message in notification popup saying "your version of Windows 10 will soon reach the end of service .." screenshot attached. I am also attaching another screenshot which is probably the update (or is it upgrade) it's referring to.

Please advise what this is. Is it mandatory?

Attachments

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,629 Posts
Nothing is mandatory. For security you should stay up to date.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay. So, if I don't update for a while will the present antivirus Windows Defender be running? And what about the daily updates I now get? Will that stop altogether?

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team
2,680 Posts
Yes....MS's AV will still be activated and in use. Daily updates, if any will still work. Updates for your current OS, if any will still arrive as usual. It's highly recommended that you do update.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes....MS's AV will still be activated and in use. Daily updates, if any will still work. Updates for your current OS, if any will still arrive as usual. It's highly recommended that you do update.
Thank you for the info. How long does this update take? Does it have any risks or downside? Few months ago there was a similar optional notice in the update section to upgrade to Windows 2010. I discussed it here and was told it's tricky and better to leave it for the time being.

*Correction: Windows 2004, not 2010. Sorry for the error.

·
28,629 Posts
Update speed depends on server at their end and download speed you pay for from your ISP. Install speed depends on compnents of your computer. Millions of users have been updating for years and time isn't the biggest concern. Of course you should have your data backed up for safety.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When Win 10 version 2004 arrived, we were told to proceed with caution. They're saying the same now. I guess those who've already upgraded to 2004 can run 20h2 with no risks. But I don't have 2004. Mine is Win 10 Home 1909. So perhaps I shouldn't rush. In my device it would require full reinstallation which I think can cause plenty of unexpected problems, right?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I found the same warning earlier today. I had purchased a 2nd legal copy of Windows 10 Pro for a second machine I have. It is v1909. I have a v2004 DVD I made with the media creation tool. I tried to see if I could update it with the DVD I made, but it wanted to do a complete re-install. I didn't want to do that. An optional Windows Update mentions something called 20H2. This is on both of my Windows 10 systems. 2004 is running fine on my primary machine and so is 1909 on the other. In this situation, I think it would be best to leave them alone.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was on version 1909 for a long time, the upgrade seemed to be stuck.
I used Windows 10 Update Assistant to upgrade to 20H2 with great success and no hiccups. It took over 2 hours but all went smoothly. There was no need to install 2004 first, the Upgrade Assistant incorporated 2004 in the 20H2 upgrade.
I am now on 20H2 and all is running perfect.

·
28,629 Posts
IMO everyone using Windows should be 100% updated. it's the safest way to go and many updating problems are user caused. When an update fails, immediately use the "RETRY" option. Don't restart until all the updates have been installed even if restart is requested.

·
Registered
673 Posts
IMO everyone using Windows should be 100% updated. it's the safest way to go and many updating problems are user caused. When an update fails, immediately use the "RETRY" option. Don't restart until all the updates have been installed even if restart is requested.
Updates often hang for a long time on downloading or installing and unless you check the update panel you do not know they are hanging.
Restarting and shutdown can be done without knowing the updates are not complete - then what happens ?
I restarted once when the updates were at 20% installing and the PC stuck on configuring updates. I had to shutdown, but had a hell of a job getting Windows back to normal.

·
28,629 Posts
Although MS said they were changing 3 years ago, Patch Tuesday still exists. That means you'll receive regular Windows Updates either the 2nd Wed, or Thurs. of each month. Knowing this, you can handle them with ease. Don't bother installing previews of cumulative updates as that can be troublesome.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Although MS said they were changing 3 years ago, Patch Tuesday still exists. That means you'll receive regular Windows Updates either the 2nd Wed, or Thurs. of each month. Knowing this, you can handle them with ease. Don't bother installing previews of cumulative updates as that can be troublesome.
I can't remember getting any cumulative previews.

·
28,629 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sorry for second post - cannot edit.
If a cumulative update gets stuck e.g on say 20% or so, how do we unstick it ?

·
28,629 Posts
Don't do anything for a couple of hours. It might not be stuck. If no good, do a hard reset with power button. When back to Windows, run the Update Troubleshooter.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Windows 10 backup in flash drive is available in Amazon but doesn't say which version. How can one find out which version it is?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
41,799 Posts
The Windows 10 OS is available for a Free Download from Microsoft, and you can burn your own Flash drive with the Media Creation Tool. You do not need to buy a flash drive with the Windows 10 OS on it. You can purchase the Windows 10 License (Product Key), if you don't have it.
The version of Windows 10 (ie) Pro or Home, is unlocked by the Product key that you use.
If you decide to buy Windows 10 USB flash drive, the seller should provide what Build (ie) 20H2, Of Windows 10 they are selling.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts