Tech Support banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer has had a number of problems recently, but today's is really fun. It appears to have reverted itself to an old system restore point. Is there a way to turn it back to how it was previously or am I stuck trying to do it manually?

Version 1803 build 17134.885

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what on Earth happened? I uninstalled Avast after it started causing a driver crash (I get the weirdest tech problems) months ago, it came back and I had to re-uninstall it. My list of installed Steam games has been halved, and the rest have queued updates from March.

I'm updating Windows now, I'll see if that does anything.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,789 Posts
Also get rid of Avast completely using their uninstall tool rather than your Windows uninstaller. If you knew for sure you were rolled back, you could go back to the current setting via running System Restore and choosing that option.

Reactions: dm01

·
Registered
40,886 Posts
As stated, use the Avast Clear Removal tool. You don't need Avast, it bogs your system down and doesn't protect. Windows Security (Defender) is pre-built into Windows 10 and is all you need. Updating Windows will not restore your list of Steam Games.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used Revo Uninstaller, the Windows uninstaller is inadequate. I'll try the Avast Clear tool as well. I know updating Windows won't do that, but I figured it might trigger an unrevert.

Oh great Avast is back. I'll run the Avast Clear and get back to you.

·
Registered
40,886 Posts
Avast is very hard to remove. Even the Clear program still leaves some files. After your run Clear in Safe Mode, and restart, you have to delete the folders in C:\Program Files, C:\Program Files (x86), Common Files, C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming, and Local. And some files in the Registry.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh. I just found the problem: my year-old SSD failed so my computer booted the version on the hard drive. I don't know why it took me so long to come up with that. Thanks for your time, looks like I'm in for a warranty claim.

·
Registered
40,886 Posts
Glad to hear it. Once you get your new SSD installed and restore all of your files and programs, you should Format the HDD and use it for storage so your computer won't revert back to the OS on the HDD.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, it was doing my head in. I'm going to try all of the troubleshooting steps before putting in a claim.

·
Registered
40,886 Posts
Download HDTune in my hidden signature, not Pro. Select the drive from the top toolbar drop down menu. Go to the Error Scan tab. Run a full Error Scan, not Quick This will take some time. If all of the boxes are Green, the SSD is Healthy. If any boxes are RED, that signifies Bad Sectors, there is no need to finish the test, the drive needs to be replaced.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The drive isn't even showing up in device manager, so I think it's an RMA candidate regardless.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And . . . I just looked again and it's back in the list. I'm going to try to boot to it and see what happens. Don't think I can make it any worse.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's an M.2, don't really have a choice where it goes. HD Tune says the drive is fine, I can't really explain what went cockeyed so badly. Back to the bench.

·
Registered
40,886 Posts
HDTune also has other benchmarking tools to monitor the drive. Who is the manufacturer of the M.2 NVME drive? Manufacturers also have their own tools like Samsung Magician for Samsung drives, which can update Firmware and run the TRIM command.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts