Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newbie to Android, Samsung, and TWRP, I rescued this tablet which was frozen during an update. By pressing the On button and Vol Up for 10 secs, I opened a TWRP program, but there was no OS or backup to recover. I wiped the system, but may have messed up the partition.

I want to install an OS, but when I attached the tablet to my computer, the latter would not recognize it. I tried reinstalling Samsung drivers, but they would not update, nor did Samsung's Smart Switch or Odin software recognize the tablet. Some update instructions mention turning on/off USB debugging, so I wonder if this could be the issue. With no OS, how can this be done? Any more ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,770 Posts
You didn't specify the particular tablet (Galaxy?) but your first attempt should be finding the OS that came with your unit. The original owner probably wiped everything clean (rooted?). Without knowing the exact status, if you're intending to hook into your phone system, it might pay to just go to the providers store and let them do it.

· TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,879 Posts
Ummm, with "no os" the OP will not be able to get to "Settings > Factory data reset > Factory data reset > Reset."

--

From all the way Off, press and hold the Volume down button then press the Power button. Do you now see the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition logo appear? If no, what do you see?

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,770 Posts
I wasn't completely sure the OS was really gone and not just "hiding" on a partition. Don't understand how OP was going to use TWRP w/o OS. Anyway, rather than installing drivers, go for the whole enchilada. Not sure this is it, but if not Google further: DOWNLOAD LINKS! - Galaxy OS Released!

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your replies and help. After much tinkering, I found out why my PC did not see the Galaxy. With TWRP, I mounted the tablet drive and other selections, and it was recognized. However, I faced another problem when the Samsung Odin installer would not "add" the tablet. The solution was to restart the tablet by pressing On and the Volume Down buttons simultaneously, which took me to the tablet's Downloader selection. Then Odin recognized the tablet, but I faced a third problem:
Samsung sells so many products (cellphones and tablets) internationally (with different country codes) that quickly become older (so software becomes outdated), so it is difficult to find the right firmware (lack of good support). After trying many versions with XAR in the filename (for US cellphones) which didn't work, I found a combination folder at Samsung SM-P600 Combination File ROM (Flash File) (samsungcombinationfile.com), and extracted the tar.md5 file, which I put into the AP block of Odin. This restored the Galaxy OS and start page.

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,615 Posts
Closed, see dup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.