Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a local account and have no problems whatsoever. Everything works perfect.
I do not have a password to sign-in and am the only Home user of my PC. I have no need for any other devices internal or external.

What benefits would I gain by swapping over to a Microsoft account ?

·
Global Moderator
51,484 Posts
None IMO, I have never setup with a Microsoft account. I suspect if you bite for some of Microsoft's subscription services like Office 365, you might need or benefit from it, but I don't use any of those. Why would I want Microsoft in the middle of my computer login?

Reactions: yabbadoo

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,787 Posts
Local on 2 computers. MS on 1. I just do this to make it easier sometimes to help people. No real advantage to have MS unless you're on a buying spree. :LOL:

Reactions: yabbadoo

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,492 Posts

Personally I prefer a Local Account, my wife however prefers a Microsoft Account. Neither of us is wrong, neither is right, we just have different priorities.

·
Global Moderator
42,348 Posts
I too prefer a Local Account, that I login to all of my devices, though I do have one computer that I can login either way on.
The advantage of an MS account is if you have several Windows devices, like tablet, desktop, Laptop, Smart phone with Exchange or Office 365 etc. If you login to all of these devices with an MS account then you can set them up to sync all of your settings across all devices. You can manage all devices in one place as well at https://accounts.microsoft.com So each device you login will have the same settings. As well as the ability to download apps from the Microsoft Store.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all.
It seems that a local account is perfect for me.
Only one computer and user, no other devices, no password, can see my browser passwords and open my Outlook email without entering my Microsoft ID and password.
In the past, I found that having to enter my Microsoft ID (an email address) and password was a real PITA.
(y)

·
Global Moderator
42,348 Posts
It's not that that difficult. When you install Windows 10 or 11 Home, do not connect to your Internet, either Wifi or Ethernet. When it comes to downloading updates it will fail, and then when it comes to choose a User Name, It will say you are not online, click I do not have internet. Windows will offer a Local Account, which you can create your own user name and password. Now you can turn on your Internet and download Windows Update etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
home users are corralled, unless they explicitly know to find a workaround
It shouldn't take workarounds in order to choose. M$ should explain the choice clearly so the regular Joe can understand and choose properly. Instead, its word-trickery and hidden choices.

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,492 Posts
It shouldn't take workarounds in order to choose. M$ should explain the choice clearly so the regular Joe can understand and choose properly.
I agree, on install there should be a clear choice, so that the person installing can opt for either a local or a Microsoft account, they should not have to disconnect their computer from the Internet to force the choice.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,776 Posts
I have had some installs where I had no choice and had to use Ms Account to complete the install. Its easy enough though to go into settings, Accounts and setup a local account to sign in with.
My biggest problem with MS Account is if hacked, you can call MIcrosoft but you might be shocked there is no phone number to call to thwart the hacker and ask to manually change password to regain the account and I have had users lose all their files because of that.

·
Global Moderator
51,484 Posts
What kind of install would you ever "have" to have the MS account? Are you talking about using Office 365 or the like?

·
14,776 Posts
No I had a few new installs that would not let me do offline account where I had to use my MIcrosoft Account and then set local account later. I believe it happened with branded pcs and it happened about 6-7 times at different intervals and being in my usual hurry I didn't take the time to see if I could determine why because I wanted to get the pcs out of my shop.

·
Global Moderator
51,484 Posts
I guess I'd have to see that to know how that could happen. I've installed Windows a lot of times on a lot of hardware, and I've never been forced to setup a Microsoft account. I will say that they seem to be making it harder to navigate around setting up the Microsoft account lately with newer releases of Windows 10, they bury the procedure to bypass the Microsoft account pretty well.

·
14,776 Posts
Yep and if I had realized I would be asked when and how I probably would have paid more attention. Now I am more than curious and if it happens again I will see if I can figure why. I do sell a lot of refurbished laptops and am certain it was on new installs of some of those. Since I only do Lenovo Thinkpads or HP ProBooks (and EliteBooks) it has to be between them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts