Tech Support banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already written one piece about this here, but I think I put it in a bad place. I won't repeat it.

I will only say this: The problem began with the 19xx series and is worse with v2004. I don't like having to do daily restarts. The 3rd party I'm using now just doesn't cut it.

This is all.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,302 Posts
Without a link, no one know what you're referring to.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,745 Posts
Hi, two areas to explore, often a right click context menu is corrupted, causing the sort of problems you reference, to see what they are and have the ability to disable, download Shellex View, the download link is at the bottom of the page, read the instructions, simple way is to look at non MS menus, these are usually the problem. Your desktop could also have a corrupt file to check open a cmd prompt (as admin) and change to the user desktop directory.

c:\Users\YOURUSER\Desktop (change YOUR USER to your user account name, press enter)

Next type :- dir > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter) You can post the notepad output here if you wish.

Link to download shellex view:-

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I downloaded ShellExView and ran it. Most of the entries on the screen have white backgrounds. Some are pink. I didn't see anything regarding information as to the difference.

It is possible that I may have found the culprit. A GUI archiver called WinRAR. It has two right-click context menu entries. Sometimes, I will select one by right click, then a dialog appears. If I click "Browse" the entire file explorer screen will refresh. Other times, the taskbar will refresh. I don't understand why it would do these things. The context entries are simple to remove. Simply load the main program and deselect them in a checkbox dialog.

Also, during the time I've had problems, I have been using Nvidia graphics cards. Two different models so far with v18xx, v19xx, and v2004. Whether these could contribute to the problem, or not, I have no idea.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,302 Posts
WinRAR is like 7 Zip. Just an app. Used for compression and decompression of files.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,745 Posts
Hi, and both have a history of causing problems, (too complicated for a mum's and dad's forum like this, mostly to do with file associations). The best fix is to totally uninstall the program (use revo to be sure) then reinstall it after a restart.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, and both have a history of causing problems, (too complicated for a mum's and dad's forum like this, mostly to do with file associations). The best fix is to totally uninstall the program (use revo to be sure) then reinstall it after a restart.
As I suspected. There are alternate ways of using it. Command line, for example. That can be complex unless a person uses a batch file to augment it a little. I have done this. All I need to supply is the target archive name and the source name(s). The rest of the parameters needed are in the batch file so I do not have to remember them.

I have had no recent File Explorer issues since then. All that was needed was to get away from its GUI and associations.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it's back. This time, it was Excel 2007 that triggered it. Black toolbar, black vertical stripes, and so on. Sometimes, I wonder if this is not a video related problem. If so, then why only one application out of dozens that I have. It makes no sense...

·
Registered
41,107 Posts
Go to Settings/Apps/Apps and Features. Scroll down to Microsoft Office and click it and click Modify. Try a Repair of Office, if that fails, then Uninstall Office and restart (you will not loose any documents) Then reinstall it again.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go to Settings/Apps/Apps and Features. Scroll down to Microsoft Office and click it and click Modify. Try a Repair of Office, if that fails, then Uninstall Office and restart (you will not loose any documents) Then reinstall it again.
I found something a bit more simple. Once open and behaving normally, minimize instead of closing. If I could only disable the X button in the far upper-right corner.

I noticed there is always something in the Task Manager titled "explorer.exe" and it seems to jump around a lot. So, I force closed it. My screen went totally blank except for a command-prompt box which I had open. I typed the name, pressed enter, and it all came back. It would seem it has multiple pieces and functions.

As for Excel, despite the date in the name, it is a recent install. I searched high, low, and long for a legal copy of MS Office which would work with Windows 10. It arrived as a sealed package with a valid license code. I only installed Excel and Word. This problem existed prior.

·
Registered
41,107 Posts
Explorer.exe is the user shell, which we see as the familiar taskbar, desktop, and other user interface features and can be stopped (and restarted) from Task Manager. If stopped, you can also press CTRL+ALT+DEL and start the Task Manager and go to File (New Task) and type Explorer.exe to restart it.
If having problems with any of the apps in the Microsoft Office suite, the first thing to try is to Repair it. If you had a previous version of Microsoft Office installed, you should Uninstall it, as the version of Office 2007 does not overwrite previous versions of Office that were installed.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you follow the last point given in the article shared in the other thread, i.e., an SFC scan, etc?
I don't see it.

Let's just take MSO off the table. This problem began way before. Below is a desktop snip which shows a gadget I keep parked in the far upper-right corner of my screen. Its function is obvious. On occasion, and under a heavy CPU or memory load, it will act strangely. It will either turn into a blank gray box, or disappear completely. The file explorer quirks don't appear to affect it. Once the load is gone, it will reappear.

Note the last item below, the GPU. I am not a gamer. I use this to do heavy math for a prime number research group which I have been a member of since 2005. Several of their applications specifically use the GPU to do calculations. Doing it this way is many hundreds, perhaps thousands, of times faster than a CPU could. These numbers are huge! An example: 2^181574007-1. This particular sample would have 54,659,222 decimal digits. I have never had any issues with any of their programs. One is GUI, and the rest are console.

So, I will stop using the gadget and see what happens, or does not happen. It might be a while before I know anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts