Tech Support banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it's Windows causing this issue, or if it's my hardware. I have checked with DPC Latency Checker and it shows me all green. I have also reinstalled the driver and the OS, but none have worked. The issue seems to start when the computer has been running for a few hours. All audio will start to get some random crackling/pop noises to it, or stuttering if you will call it that. This is starting to get really annoying, and I really don't know what could cause this. The hardware is realtively new (bought May 2019).
Other things I have tried is using both frontpanel/backpanel for the audio cable. I have also tried with optical cable, with the same result. Current format is 24bits, 48khz. Also tried with the DVD quality and CD quality ones, but same result.. Speakers and headphones also the same issue. So im basically back to thinking this has something to do with Windows. Any suggestions as to how to solve this?

I also have this recording, where you can clearly hear the glitching: video

My computer specs:
  • Asus ROG Strix B360-F
  • i5-9400F
  • Nvidia GTX1080-TI
  • HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz 16GB (Slot 3 & 4)

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,389 Posts
Same problem when booting and running a different Operating System from a Live CD/USB?

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or Rufus to burn to a USB flash drive/key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.​

When you're done testing, simply reboot your PC from the hard drive/SSD like you do now.

If the problem persists even when running a different OS, then the issue is -- more than likely -- hardware related.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,257 Posts
Besides the regular Nvidia driver, also update the game ready driver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same problem when booting and running a different Operating System from a Live CD/USB?

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.​
To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or Rufus to burn to a USB flash drive/key.​
Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.​

When you're done testing, simply reboot your PC from the hard drive/SSD like you do now.

If the problem persists even when running a different OS, then the issue is -- more than likely -- hardware related.
Okay, I will try this tonight by letting the live OS run for the night, and tomorrow i will try to see if I get the same problem on the live OS.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,389 Posts
Okay, I will try this tonight by letting the live OS run for the night, and tomorrow i will try to see if I get the same problem on the live OS.
Test the sound while the computer is running the other OS. For exampe, load a browser, go to say Youtube.com and listen to some music videos. If you still hear that same 'popping' (or whatever it's called) problem, then you now know that the hardware is to blame, not Windows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, so after trying out the live test i found out that Ubuntu could play the sound just fine. No audio stutters at all. I tried to update the firmware in BIOS since the version there was from 2018, and there was a 2020 version available apparently. I think the BIOS upgrade actually fixed the problem. No audio stutters for 1 whole day. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar problem with a brand new (2019) notebook and ultimately had to disable all the "special" advanced Dolby theater sound features to get rid of the crackles and just plain weird spurious sounds. After that, it also sounds a lot better...better bass...better clarity. Just better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts