Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Reader,

I am trying to use the printer wizard on a win98se-run box to enable printing to a network printer connected directly to a network. I can't seem to find a way to do it. I hope someone can help.

If I select local printing. I do not get an option to select the NIC port

If I select network printing, a dialog box asks for a "workgroup or queue name" for the printer. I do not know what to enter at this point. ( When I press the browse button at this point, no printer shows in the network.)

My setup is as follows :

win98se-run box with a 10/100 NIC connected to a four port router.
Apple Laserwriter IIg connected to one port of the four port router.
Other Apple boxes connected to the other ports of the four port router.

The other Apple boxes can print to the network printer no problem.

The win98se box can access cable internet via the router but cannot see the printer.

Any good advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

skeenna

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think this is an appletalk issue. Appletalk is the protocol Apple devices use to communicate with eachother, I'm not sure if 98SE has an appletalk installable protocol, anybody have any idea about this?

·
1,438 Posts
First, you may need to add the LPR protocol to add a network printer to win98

When it asks for the "workgroup or queue name" for the printer, it wants the IP for the printer and port number

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If Win 98se does not have provision for appletalk, in which, if any, win OS's does appletalk come as standard equipment?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I know for a fact you can add appletalk under Windows 2000 Professional, but microsoft discontinued support for it under XP

If you know how to allow your printer to use the TCP/IP protocol instead of appletalk (or with appletalk), that would work too, and they would still most likely still work with your mac machines

oh yes, and be sure your PC is under the same workgroup as your apple machines & the printer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for your input uranium-235 and oshwyn5.

unfortunately, the printer does not do tcp/ip.

when you said that you can add appletalk under win 2k pro does that mean that it comes included with win 2k pro or do you need to buy it as an add-on package to win 2k pro?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for the info

If it's not an inconvenience, I had just one more question.

please forgive my ignorance here but will 2kpro allow you to choose the appletalk protocol to operate through the NIC (ethernet) port?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes. you right click on "my network places", go to properties. There you do the same thing (right click, properties) with the NIC that is connected to your network. From there, You "Install", select Protocols, then Appletalk

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.