Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
98SE:

- Wasn't thrown together in a vain attempt to get an "operating system for the new millenium" made

- MUCH more stable

- Better game OS (IMO) than ME, but I hear XP outdoes 98

Less frilly and made with common sense in mind

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
My machine came with ME, even though, because of everything that I heard, I had to be talked into that.

On the first crash, I said, "OK, maybe my fault", and I reformatted and reloaded ME. I had so much trouble that I ordered W2K. While I was waiting for it to arrive, I experienced yet another crash. I reformatted and waited for W2k before I did anything else.

Win 98 was on all the machines at my previous employer. I was considered a "power user" in an organization of over 6,000,, so I did a lot of trouble shooting when IT was swamped. I found 98 and 98SE to be very stable, sensible systems.

Do a google search on ME and spend some real time reading; ME is considered M$'s biggest error to date.

How about W2K? You'll have until 4/07 before the support runs out (98 support ends next spring), and as long as you keep your security up, it is a tank. (OK, I'm biased there).

S

·
0 Posts
I say stick with Win98 as ME does have some issues, Memory management is terrible in ME.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I prefer Win98SE over ME simply because, although ME has a more attractive GUI, 98SE is more stable. Incidently, I prefer 98SE to XP for much the same reasons plus 98se allows a greater range of older drivers and programs to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.