Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While working on Internet Explorer, the screen sunddenly turned black...when I restarted the computer, it refused to work, so I started it in safe mode. The color depth and resolution was set to 640*480*16. It said I could change it when I restarted. I restarted and was unable to change anything. In the display properties window I can change it to as high as 1024*728(but then I can't select High color) Regardless of what Resolution and Color combinations I choose when I restart nothing is changed. Also, I used to be able to select true color and resolutions above 1024*728. I desperately need to be able to change these. I installed norton antivirus and was able to find and eliminate 5 viruses, but the problem remains. I don't believe I've installed anything recently that would give me the problem.

Specs:
533 Mz pentium III
256 mg ram
win 98
20 gig hard drive
Intel 810e chipset graphics driver

if there is anything else you need to know, please tell me. I really need help.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
hmm...virus damage is a pain in the a** you never know what they did to system files while they were in there, even if you kill the virus, file damage could have still occurred.

I would run sfc /scannow from the command prompt and see if anything shows up, if not this might be a reinstall the OS type of problem.

Let me know how the sfc scan goes before taking the final step :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would REALLY like to avoid that alternative...if there is any way I can be able to change my resolutions and colors without doing that I would rather do that...so far the SFC didn't pick up anything, I'm trying it searching more directories this time. the strange thing was that I could change it until I went into safe mode, at which point it was set at 640*480*16.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
well, thats safe modes default resolution to insure no problems with display.. Are you able to view in other resolutions when not in safe mode?

Or are you saying after safe mode you were still stuck in its 640x480 resolution?

You could try checking for the latest video drivers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything's ok problem fixed...the problem was the driver I was using...the real problem though is that it's so hard to find...I searched through three huge driver directories...to anyone in the future that has this problem and has an intel chipset, tell them they need to find version 4.13.blah.blah.blah...only the 4.13 part is the important part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.