Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all these old games I love so I took an xp machine and made it a win98 so I can play my old games.

Now I want to go up a notch and load winme, but when I go to load the OS, it says I don't have enough memory? I physically have 3 gigs of ram and 500 G's of hard drive. What is my problem?

· Registered
2,446 Posts
How did you get Windows 98 to work on 3 GB of RAM? It should lock up with errors similar to these:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253912
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184447
I've found the workarounds listed didn't even work for me and I had to put my two old 256MB sticks for it to run properly.
Are you even able to access the 500GB drive in 98?

Anyway those issue would likely also apply to Windows Me.

· Registered
4,642 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF,

1. Remove 2 gigs of ram so as you only have 1 memory ram stick in the pc when loading the operating system and running ME, anymore than 1.5 memory ram may decrease performance.

Win98SE - 128MB - 512MB ram is best, After 512 MB ram it doesnt run it efficiently enough to see any performance increase, what you can do is limit the Vcache to 512MB though so as not to get any errors that windows is running out of memory.

Win ME - 1.5 gig of ram memory
Win NT - 2 gigs of ram
Windows 2000 professional - 4 gigs of ram

Why not go with windows 2000 professional?....then you can utilize the ram u have there to the maximum.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Riskyone101,

I removed the extra ram and I am not getting the errors or the lock ups I was experiancing before, I haven't attempted to load winme again. I don't own Windows 2000 so that is not an option, do you think my old games like quake and doom would run on that platform?

· Registered
2,446 Posts
Actually Windows 2000 was not good for games (except maybe the later directx 6 through 9 games). Like duke nuke'em 3d wouldn't have sound. XP actually has compatibility mode, which you can use for your old DOS games (duke has sound).
You should consider dosbox if your game's older than say, doom. I use dosbox to play wolfenstein 3-d from time to time.

· Registered
4,642 Posts
Let me get someone from the games forum to help here.

My thinking is that you go with xp windows and use compatible mode for the old games, however im not positive on those games though.

· TSF Team Emeritus
3,464 Posts
I agree with what both blah789 and Riskyone101 have said. It can be extremely difficult to set up a system that will be compatible with *all* of the old games. The best thing to do would be to go with XP and use DosBox for the old Dos games, for the others XP's compatibility modes should do the trick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.