Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am having major problems starting my PC with windows 98se.

1. During normal start up Windows hangs at the Intro Windows98 screen.

2. Tried starting in safe mode and same problem

3. Started from boot disk and got message : KEYB.com missing and error on Line 37 config.sys file. From the disk drive I have swithed to my CD rom and run setup from the Win98 cdrom. When setup runs it gets to checking the directory structure of my hard disk (master, also have a slave drive) and stops and I get no further progress.

4. Tried to boot using command prompt only, but again I get no response just a flashing cursor and no further progress.

5. As I had installed a new stick of RAM last week, which had worked fine for the whole week, I removed this and switched back to my original setup this again made no difference.

6. The one major thing I have done is install Eraser http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ and run it on my unused disk space only. All appeared to run OK as I used my PC for a number of hours afterwards with no problem. The only ptoblem came after attempting to reboot.

Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
retired
1,966 Posts
looks like the hard drive may be trashed.

go to the hard drive manaufacturer's website and download their utility software to test the drive.

T

·
0 Posts
I agree with stu computer...only to make sure that it is the HD. All the manufacturers of HDs have free bootable tools to test your HD, If this is a old HD the tools may be limitted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HD trashed

Thanks for the suggestions,

I will test the hardrive, it is about 3.5 years old so hopefully I can get some reasonable utility software!

Is it normal with a trashed drive that Win98 hangs at the splash screen?

·
retired
1,966 Posts
The idea is to first check the drive with the manufacturers' utility software to verify it is in good working condition, if it passes the test then in probability it's a soft error and might be fixable with software, else needs reformatting.

Content has been trashed and unless it's a matter of replaceable corrupt data-an example would be a corrupt mbr that needs to be replaced so the drive can be accessed again-then it's unlikely to be 100% recoverable.

·
1,438 Posts
Keyb.com is located in the folder C:\Windows\Command
in win95/98
It is an MS-DOS application for keyboard access
19.4KB in size
(Also used by norton ghost)
It allows use of your keyboard in DOS mode.
http://www.easydos.com/keyb.html

3. Started from boot disk and got message : KEYB.com missing and error on Line 37 config.sys file.
This indicates that the config.sys file on the boot floppy you are using refers to load keyb.com in line 37 but does not contain a copy of keyb.com
You need to go to bootdisk.com and download a new boot floppy image .
You could also edit the config.sys file and rem out this line.

1. During normal start up Windows hangs at the Intro Windows98 screen.
This would indicate that windows is waiting for something to load. Most frequently this is a driver of virtual driver used by an antivirus. That it happens both in windows normal and safe mode indicates it is probably your antivirus , since most drivers and software are not loaded in safe mode.

4. Tried to boot using command prompt only, but again I get no response just a flashing cursor and no further progress.
What do you think command prompt only is? It is a blank black screen with a flashing cursor. You type in dos commands such as
scanreg /restore
and hit enter
to restore a previous registry if you get a corrupt one
or
scandisk
and hit enter to run scandisk in dos. Note if you get messages about invalid file names, choose to ignore them. It just means the file name or path is a windows one , not a dos (limited to eight characters name and three characters extension also DOS limits the length of the system variable PATH to 256 characters while some versions of windows do not have this limit)one.

From the disk drive I have swithed to my CD rom and run setup from the Win98 cdrom. When setup runs it gets to checking the directory structure of my hard disk (master, also have a slave drive) and stops and I get no further progress.
This sounds like a virus or an antivirus program stopping the check.
If you had been getting previous errors on boot about the hard drive not being found, I would say you should replace the cmos battery on the motherboard and reconfigure your drive in bios setup before proceeding.

I would definitely run scandisk from a command prompt or from a boot floppy
(If from boot floppy, specify the drive
Scandisk C: )

As noted here
http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=topic_02140&PibItemParent=pb21m00601
and elsewhere on the web
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=windows+hangs+at+splash+screen+on+boot&btnG=Search
This type of behaviour is almost certainly caused by something other than windows hanging , most of the time, it is the antivirus program.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.