Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help me due to the fact the tech support for this product doesn't seem to be from the US or know how to speak good English.

I bought a 20gb HD a while ago, 3+ years, and it came with a usb hook up and a pc card hook up. I only have ever gotten it to work with an old win98 laptop and my ipaq, all using the pc card cable. But every time I hook it up to my desktop or any computer using the usb cable nothing happens, the computer doesn't seem to know its even there. Implied by the subject I’m running a win98 se, but I’ve tried it with an XP with the usb too and nothing happens. Anyone know what could be wrong?? It’s a 20gb external HD made by EXP.

http://www.expnet.com/

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
More than likely the pc card is also supplying power to the drive. That is unless you have a seperate ac power cord for the drive. What you could try is buy a "powered" usb hub. The hub will come with an ac power cord that adds power to the power requiring devices.

If that doesn't work, maybe get pc card adapter for your computer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an ac power supply for the Hard Drive but the drive gets power without the power adapter so i just don't use it. Anyways with or without the power supply it makes no differance, the computer doesn't see the HD.

And i did try and get drivers+info from the web site but i had no luck, thats why i came here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, i think i may have gotten it, the HD, to appear in device manager, but it still has no drive number. My question is this: how do you get the HD to appear in MY COMPUTER? I know you have to so something with assigning it a drive letter but thats about it.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
A USB drive doesn't depend on any BIOS support, I have a 160gig USB drive that I can connect to an old system with a BIOS that only recognizes 32gig max size, it has no problem with it.

First off, is this a small 2.5" drive in a USB case? If so, you may need to connect the power to it first, then connect the cable to the system. They specify 800ma for startup, and that exceeds the standard 500ma that the USB port will provide.

From the look of the website description, I'm guessing this drive's USB interface is not the standard one supported natively by ME/2K/XP, since they specifically seem to have left XP off the list of USB supported O/S versions when connecting with USB. Another clue is it's a USB 1.1 interface, not a USB 2.0 interface. If so, you probably need a driver for any O/S to recognize the drive. From the website, it appears this is the driver for your disk: HD E Series Drivers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats the thing, the drivers DON'T work! they never have, at least with a usb.

The HD has this switch on it where you can choose to get power from ether the computer or the ac adapter, so normaly i get it from the computer, its never made a differance. I e-mailed the tech support but they are no help, they keep saying to format the HD using win 2k, even though i told them i'm using 98 se. On top of that the system doesn't even recognize that the HD is plugged in, ever since i installed the original drivers this has happend. i'll delete the HD in device manager but nothing. as of now i have no clue what to do. how can i erase all evidence that the HD was ever installed on my computer? then maybe i can start over and not use the original drivers.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, you'll need drivers to access a mass storage device in W98, I've used both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 drives here, and W98 needs drivers for any of them.

You might try connecting it to a 2K or XP machine and getting the drive working and formatted.

If the drivers don't work, I don't have many ideas, since I doubt you'll find other drivers for that device...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.