Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing windows 98. It goes fine until it restarts the computer/ when it starts detecting hardware it gives an error message for msgsrv32.dll (or something simmiler) Then it crahses and i have to restart. The same happens when i restart

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings
is this second edition 98 you have?
remove all unneccesary cards and hardware, use 1 stick of memory, and try it again.
post back

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i agree with whosdat.

this sounds like one of two things, as i have had this exact problem before.

first thing i suggest, is to make sure ALL of your cards are 100% seated in their sockets, and try again.

if a card is half inserted, you will ALWAYS get an error message like this.

then, if that doesn't work, pull the cards like whosdat said.

also, the only other possible reason for this error, is your windows cd might be unreadable in certain spots where core files are located.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i will try that but i noticed that my cd rom is only detected when it boots from a cd otherwise i can't access whats on the cd why does that happen

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK i removed all unncessary cards and installed. My PC was very slow so i shut down put them back in then restarted. The monitor didn't switch on so i shut dower supply then switch it back on and now it opens but i can't run installation, system scan is really solw (5 min approx) then it crashes w hen scanning system registery. What do u think i should do

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
ok then
whats the memory situation here? 1 or 2 sticks and what kind?..tell us about your power supply -- age, size and make
post back

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have 1 64 SD ram installed at bank 2. regarding power supply i am not sure but it is about 7 years old.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i checked my power supply, its : "Sunshine 230W model PSH-200"

Also now i tried redoing what u said earlier ie getting rid of unncessery cards. it starts setup and crashes at varies points. maximum it reached was 78%.

What do u suggest i do.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
do you have access to another power supply?
that one will be trouble if not now, in the near future for sure.
why is the memory in bank 2 ? whats in bank 1?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there is nothin in bank 1 it was how the enjneer put it. unfortunatly i don't have access to a spare power supply, why do u say it will trouble me.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
do you have access to another rom? and did you try cleaning your disk ?

your power supply is ranked low, 7 yrs old, and very low wattage... :sayno:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
your trouble could very well be a hard drive problem ????? go to your hard drive manufacturer's website and download their diagnostic floppy drive tools (you may have to buy a cheap floppy drive to do this but its a critical step.

after that if the hard drive is proven mechanically relaible then I would zero fill it / that should fix your problem here is a zero fill prog to complete that mission (free) and in my signature Dban boot & nuke

keep us posted on your progress

regards

joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.