Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
above is a link to my question at another tech support forum; would like more input from others though. i think i've tried almost everything, and I still can't get my problem fixed.
note: my post is long, so if you don't mind reading, I would appreciate any input here or at the other forum to help me solve this.

S

·
0 Posts
We tend to frown on people putting up links to other forums.

As this is a form of advertising or spamming.

If you would like to post your problem on this forum you can copy and paste it here but you already know that don't you.

BTW welcome to TSF.................:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SPEEDO said:
We tend to frown on people putting up links to other forums.

As this is a form of advertising or spamming.

If you would like to post your problem on this forum you can copy and paste it here but you already know that don't you.

BTW welcome to TSF.................:D
oh, I'm so sorry, I see what your saying. I thought I was being more helpful by just posting a link, because the post is really long and I did a lot formatting. But I'll go ahead and try copy it over here, and copy some suggestions I've been given so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok here you guys go-

This all started a couple weeks ago, so I'm not sure what could've caused this, the only recent programs that I've installed were Eudora, PGP and SSH. Also, I cannot have Norton Antivirus autoprotect enabled at startup anymore, never had this problem until now. What happens is as my computer boots up and gets to the network login box the computer freezes (normally what happens is in the bottom left corner the norton anti-virus would load up). So I had to disable it in safe mode.
BUT anyway my current problem is Win95 isn't shutting down. It just hangs at the "please wait while your computer shutsdown" screen.

Searching the net and reading help boards, this link at aumha.org comes up a lot, and I decided to give it a shot to figure out what's wrong... so if you go to http://aumha.org/a/shutdown.php and follow with me...

First Step: DISABLE FAST SHUTDOWN (only applies to win98)
i skipped this step

Second Step: STARTUP/SHUTDOWN TROUBLESHOOTING WIZARD (i think only applies to win98 & ME)
i skipped this step

Third Step: RULE OUT DAMAGED EXIT SOUND FILE
disabled sound, window shutdow still hangs

Fourth Step: RULE OUT CLOGGED TEMPORARY FILE FOLDERS
cleared all, problem not solved

Fifth Step: RULE OUT AUTOEXEC.BAT or CONFIG.SYS COMMAND LINE PROBLEMS
directions said if it still hung to rename them back and go to sixth step

Sixth Step: RULE OUT VIRTUAL DEVICE DRIVER/SYSTEM.INI PROBLEMS
it said to place a semicolon ( ; ) in front of each line that began with DEVICE= and ended with .386
my system.ini only had these-
[386Enh]
ebios=*ebios
device=*vshare
device=*dynapage
device=*vpd
device=*int13
device=*vpowerd
keyboard=*vkd
display=*vdd
woafont=dosapp.fon
device=*enable
device=*vcd
MinPagingFileSize=66036
PagingDrive=C:
mouse=*vmouse,msmouse.vxd

so i didn't do anything here

Seventh Step: RULE OUT WIN.INI COMMAND LINE PROBLEMS
it said to place again a semicolon in front of the lines LOAD= or RUN= if there were entries
mine had no entries, and so it said to go to eighth step...

Eight Step: RULE OUT PROGRAMS LOADED FROM STARTUP FOLDER
i had only two things in my folder, Refresh and PGPtray. i took out the PGPtray and tried to shutdown, still hangs. so then i tried the other directions of holding shift when i saw the wallpaper (directions said it would suppress startup items). tried to shutdown again, still hanged.
so for the inth time, hit the power button started up and this time went into Safe Mode. tried to shutdown again, and OMG IT SHUTDOWN! hehe
so i read that then "IFSHLP.SYS, and DoubleSpace or DriveSpace must be considered as likely causes of the problem" I also read ahead to the ninth step...

Ninth Step: RULE OUT EMM386-RELATED MEMORY CONFLICTS
it said to make sure the following existed in this order:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS X=A000-F7FF
DOS=HIGH,UMB
mine only had this:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
so this looked fine and still skipping ahead...

Tenth Step: RULE OUT ADVANCED POWER MANAGEMENT (APM) Problems
did this, windows still hung

i read ahead some more and skipped (didn't do) 11, 12, 13, 14 and went to the last one...

Fifteenth Step: OTHER SOLUTIONS
antivirus software problems section (this is why i didn't stop at Step Eigth where it worked right)
and what do you know, the Microsoft Knowledge Base article they provided said "This problem is known to affect the Norton AntiVirus product."

so I thought I had disabled it (i have Norton AntiVirus v5.0) by unchecking the option "Load Auto-Protect at startup" but alas I guess that is not how you turn it off! and I can't figure any other way.

So ok guys, what do you think?
Do you think it's the Step Eight one: "IFSHLP.SYS, and DoubleSpace or DriveSpace must be considered as likely causes of the problem"

or the antivirus one? (i'm thinking this might be it)

Here's the link to the MS article if you're not on the aumha.org page-
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;Q233322

The above site says "With both anti-virus software and a PCMCIA (PC Card) adapter installed", how do I check if I have a PCMCIA installed? would this be the correct the correct way?-

Right-click My Computer > Performance Tab >

Memory: 128.0 MB of RAM
System Resources: 62% free
File System: 32 bit
Virtual Memory: 32 bit
Disk Compression: Not installed
PC Cards (PCMCIA): No PC card socket are installed

So please tell me what you think and if you know how to _completely_ turn off norton antivirus.
I had followed directions at this site to disable norton from checking the floppy drive, and still with auto-protect disabled and those options unchecked... there is something checking the floppy at boot up, maybe it's not the anti-virus?

Also want to mention that i have the norton system utilities installed, but again i disabled it (as in it's not showing up in my systray because it got really annoying). though realising that my antivirus is probably still running, i suspect the utilities still runs somehow in the background too.

And finally, want to add because of previous problems I've had and wanting a way to surpress some norton stuff :D , I have these two utilities called 'Startup Cop ' and 'End It All '

Startup Cop is what I used to surpress some unwanted things at startup and End It All basically shuts everything down, except for the essentials. I ran End It All and win95 still hung when I tried shutting down.
Here is a screenshot of what Startup Cop is doing right now. I recently disable NProtect.exe because I thought it might be the culprit, but it didn't solve anything. Not sure if I'll enable it again later.
http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

One last thing, when I boot up after manually hitting the power button, I never get a screen saying windows was improperly shutdown, it just boots normally. You can take a look at my bootlog.txt here

If, you read this far, give yourself a cookie! And if you any ideas, suggestions, or even a solution, I'd be very grateful! Thanks for your time. :)

P.S. I copied and pasted some of my system specs here if it'll help any.

P.S.S. I just remebered another thing that was changed recently, is that resolution settings were changed from 800X600 to 1024X768

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A user recommended I download a program called StartupList, and you can see the latest results of that program here

Also, I was told spyware might be something, so I downloaded both Spybot and Ad-aware and ran those.

Other quotes:
"This is a tricky thing to debug. First, try to login to the network and then shutdown immediately. If this is ok, it means that the problem is one of the network-based applications you run. Run each net app you use one at a time and try to shutdown. If you encounted the problem again, then you have isolated the application. (It can be many applications...) Try to debug or reinstall the application then.

If the PC does not shutdown immediately, reinstall your network software. To do this, use control panel - > network and delete all the components of the network. Upon restarting, reinstall all the components again. Note that you may need to manually add the NIC as windows may not detect it automatically.

HTH"
-------------
"Try this information I hope that could help you, it help some other people before. IF not reject my answer.

Run scandisk in windows, choice Thorough, click Automaically fix errors. Then Click Advanced icon, in advanced options goto cross-linked files click delete, now goto lost files fragment, pick Free. Click OK buttom for leave the screen, and now start the scandisk. Depending the size of your drive, and number of your files, that may takes you one to three hours to scan the disk. Then run the Defragment to defragment the drives.

PS. Disable screen saver and all other applications, Including the MS Office task bar. Removed all CHK files. Before you run the scandisk. "
-------------
"This is a common problem in Windows95 machine, especially for people who have upgrade their PC from 3.x. Most of the time it is due to one of two errors -

A. You have installed some third party software which is memory resident. It is more than likely a 16bit application and doesn't like Windows95, so when Windows trys to shut down, it hangs.

B. You have improper or older drivers installed for some of your devices. Check your sysetm settings under the control panel and make sure you have no devices listed under 'other'. Also make sure you have no yellow exclamation points or red X's listed either. These are also common on improper setups or upgrades and will cause the system to hang during a shutdown

Also keep in mind that sometimes the applications will NOT be listed under the task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) and sometimes conflicting hardware will NOT be listed under system properties. If you can't find the culprit, the only surefire way to fix it is to format and reinstall everything (it's alot quicker than uninstalling EVERY piece of software one at a time to see if that fixes the problem, then uninstalling every piece of hardware)."

-------------
Someone also said that "if you have a network card installed try removing in and see if your pc will shut down correctly. "

I asked my dad if I could do this, but he said no (we are using a cable modem), I'll see if I can still convince him to do it...

Right now, I'm looking at step 8 from aumha.org's troubleshooter, and might try something about going into the BIOS to disable power or something, I've been doing a lot of reading everywhere... also I'm going to try this troubleshooter I copied and pasted from somewhere... i think it's from microsoft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Short summary of important info (i think):
- I can properly shutdown from safemode
- Enabling Norton Antivirus autoprotect freezes computer at startup
- that's about it i guess

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.