Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Windows 7 computer which has not been turned on since MS support ended.
This computer has a wireless connection to the internet. I would like to turn off the ability to connect to the internet.

I don't know how to:
1. Turn it on without it connecting to the internet,
2. I don't know how to stop it from connecting for future booting.

Can this be done?

Thanks

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,608 Posts
Admin Tools>Services>WLAN AutoConfig service has to be enabled.>In Device Manager, disable the Network Adapter>Back to WLAN AutoConfig>Stop/Disable

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. How do I turn turn on the computer, with the info just provided, and not let it connect to the internet?

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,382 Posts
If it's a laptop, then it's probably got a "flight mode" switch on it, which is a key (usually with the symbol of an airplane on it) which when pressed will disable the wi-fi until that key is pressed again, when it will be re-enabled.

You could use that when you boot up, and then follow Corday's instructions for the more permanent solution.

·
Global Moderator
51,344 Posts
Just unplug your router until you have done the disable step, no need to remove the card. :)

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
Start the computer, go to the Wireless Icon in the Taskbar by the clock. It will probably say, View Available Wireless Networks. If so, it is not connected to the internet. If it does connect, right click the connection and choose Disconnect and Forget Network.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts