Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I have a strange problem. I have 4 hard disks in my PC.
1st is kingston ssd 60gb C:\
2nd 320 gb seagate D:\
3rd 500gb seagate E:\
4th also 500gb wd G:\

I have installed win7 64bit on 1st disk ( c: partition ), and PC is running just fine. Problem occurred when I wanted to make windows image backup and it didn't work because of an error. I googled a bit and found out it was because other hard disk than my default C: had probably some system files.
I looked into computer->manage-> disk management and saw it listed my G: partition as first one, and also says "system, active, primary" on its tab.
I disabled "active" in order to somehow disable "system" tag so I can have only C: as system (never installed any program on other then C:) and went into BIOS to check and change boot order. But as soon as I did it, it said "boot manager is missing" and nothing I did to change it how it was worked. I figured that it was because I made G: "inactive" so system couldn't start.
I made repair with my windows disk and now it all works again.
While its not bothering me too much, I'd still like to have C: as my only system-anything disk. What to do?

Note: G: disk was my GF's disk from old trashed PC which was not working, and it had windows installed before, but when I installed it in my case I formatted it (think I installed it before I did last windows reinstall)

How is it possible that windows boot partition somehow ended up on totally separate hard drive? Can I place it back on C: partition in some way?

Thanks in advance, Natsuke

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,292 Posts
Hi-

There are a few methods to do this. Being that you have a windows disk, and that it seems you know how to insert HDDs in your computer...

One of the simplest is too disconnect all of the HDDs except your main one, and re-run start-up repair on your disk, and thus forcing it to be on the sole connected drive.

If you would rather not open up your PC case- that is understandable, and there are other methods that are quite simple as well.

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for quick answer.
At the moment I don't have time to open it, but it seems a good idea. Will try it when I can definitely.
Another option I know of is to reinstall windows and all, but since I reinstalled everything 2 months ago, I'll wait with that.

Thanks for reply :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.