Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Ok, got an interesting little puzzle. I searched the net far-n-wide, but haven't yet found the EXACT same set of symptoms.

Win2K, after all latest updates have gone through. All running an AV of some sort.
Out of no where:

- Control Panel's icons show up on far left of the CP window, with a scroll bar (almost like looking at a website with frames).

- Add/Remove Programs is now empty

- Unable to send mail through any client (get a low system memory error-on a base load of Win2K with 512MB's RAM in one case)

- Unable to add printer (getting system resources low error)

- Unable to get to windowsupdate.MS.com (page comes up as a blank)

- all non-essential windows programs cease to function (all get a low system memory error--Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Windows Media Player, ICQ etc) except for IE/Notepad/Word. Stranger note on this one is that all other MS Office products won't work except for Word??

-Symantecs NAV ceases to function. Live update doesn't try to connect, and the interface to start a manual scan becomes null/blank.

Was able to perform a AV scan from housecall.AV.com, which brings up a clean result.

So far, 6 machines: 4 at work, mine at home, and a clients laptop, have all had these EXACT same symptoms in the last month. Only fix was to format so far. Now I'm sitting on the clients laptop, everything already backed up and scanned for virii.....

Has anyone seen this? Is there an easy fix? The laptop was JUST loaded with Win2K 2 weeks ago! Is this viral, or an issue with one of the Service Packs/Updates from M$

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
The last time that I had symptoms like this was the only time that a Trojan got through my defenses. I didn't start studying the problem until I had to go through the reformat, and some key backup media failed, leaving me feeling that I was "starting over".

Well, if you can get to the net, we can try to download some tools. I would suggest that you get into safe mode, choose safe mode with networking, and see if you can get to Semantic Security Response, et al, for an online scan.

See if you can get to the link I'll give you below, for Hijack this. I think all of this can be done in safe mode. Download the program, have it scan, then copy and paste the log to a post here.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

While you are waiting, you can also try to download Spybot S&D. Have it look for problems and delete everything in red.

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

Another program that I have used is Swat It; it is more specifically designed to ferret out Trojans.

http://swatit.org/customers.html

In fact, try to run Spybot and Swat It before you make a hijack log.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well...for online scans: I've done the housecall.AV.com, and Panda's online scan....on the work machines (at my office), I used Microtrends Officescan Corp edition.....pretty close, although not totally, ruling out a viral infection.

Unable to get windowsupdate.MS.com....it will load an IE page, but it's always blank.

So, yeah....thinking that it's a service pack issue....yet another rebuild.:D :rolleyes:

Spybot, and Ad-Aware were already loaded....laptop, in this case, was behind a Dlink wireless, and is now behind my Linux box; the laptop has never seen an unguarded connection.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Dis you install the service packs on all those machines from the same media, or did you do separate downloads? Are we talking all machines SP4?

Something has happened to all those machines, apparently within a short time frame, and by evidence provided by the laptop, not all (or any?) internet related.

I would be looking at the media, at the "mother machine", if there was one for the activities, and the software that the machines have, and do not have, in common.

There is some piece of history that they all share; find it, and I'll bet you'll be close to the problem.

I'm mostly afraid that if you take them all down and load them again, without knowing why all this occurred, it might occur again.

Ain't I a ray of sunshine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All machines were on SP4....and got the patch direct from the MS site.
I think I'd be on the same line of logic, actually....if all the machines were in the same environs.

However, the 1st 3 machines are on a corporate domain under the company that I work for: none of the machines there were ones I ever use.
4th machine was at my house....my main workstation at home. It's behind a Linux FW.
5th machine, and one that I'm working on currently, is for a client outside of work, for his home office. Laptop, behind a Dlink wireless.

Funny part is, none of the machines had any direct relation to each other.....

So far, the first 4 machines fix was to format.....

Thanks for the suggestions.....keep em rolling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok I know I'm reviving this topic, but the same thing is going on in my computer. I have a few more on top of that list,
like search doesn't work,
can't open property windows in services(mmc.exe),
networking is blank, but somehow still works,
javascript doesn't work at all,
certain links in msie,
copy/paste in certain situations

I got infected with a virus, and then a worm that went undetected for a while. Then went repairing and updating everything. Don't know if its a combo of things or what. I can't reinstall win2k because my cdrom is broken. Safe mode doesn't help anything. Did anyone come up with a solution for this stuff? Gonna reinstall sp4, maybe it'll fix itself.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I've installed SP4 on several dozen machines, from SP1 to SP3 in previous configuration. So far it's been 100%, they've all worked after the upgrade. I have to think there was an external influence to have that many failures installing SP4...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pretty much have given up for now, I guess it will have to wait untill I can buy a cdrom and reinstall win2k

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.