Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to get to msdos command prompt from the win2k pro boot disk. it brings up the blue screen and just gives me a list of installing options. please help asap

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
There is no MS-DOS prompt for W2K. You can boot to the recovery console and do many "DOS Like" things. What exactly are you trying to do?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i need to run fdisk so i can delete linux partitions. and i think i need to fdisk/mbr. see heres the situation...its pretty confusing...i originally had a single 60 gig hard drive. i wanted to put linux on it, so i went ahead and did it. then i purchased a second 160 gig hard drive. i didnt know how to dual boot so i installed win2k pro on the 160gig just so i could get online and figure out how to dual boot. so i wanted to delete everything on the first 60 gig hard drive so i could start fresh and partition magic said that it had bad partitions and couldnt be fixed, keep in mind this is a 2 month old drive. what i want to do is run both mandrake linux and win2k pro of the 60 gig and have the 160 gig as a slave where i keep all my music and everything else. but i dont know how to dual boot and i dont know how to fix the 60gig. just the other day i was tooling around and installed linux on the 160gig... and then i couldnt even get back to windows so i was told just to delete linux with fdisk. so how do i delete it? how do i do anything?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
If you've installed W2K on other than the C: drive, at this point I'd throw up my hands and format everything. :)

You can download the Maxtor disk diagnostic from www.maxtor.com and it'll clean a drive 100%, nothing left.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
In that case, you should be able to boot from the W2K CD and do a FIXBOOT from the recovery console. It rewrites the boot files and should dispatch the Linux bootloader.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.