Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hdd's involved are: wd1600aajb wd 160g Master (new)

wd 800 jb wd 80g Slave

I have the jumpers set correctly, I have tried different combinations of 40 and 80 wire data ribbons, tried different combinations in the boot sequence settings in the bios. All with the same result.
With the 800 powered down and the 1600 powered up machine moves thru the bios and windows launches correctly, with the 800 powered up and the 1600 powered down, bios will complete and will ask for a win xp disc to continue. With both powered down the bios will of course not find either hdd, and will stop before it gets to the part listing irq's etc. With both powered up the bios will find both drives correctly but stop before it lists irq's etc and goes no farther? Also if I open windows with the :1angel: 800 powered down as previously described and then power up the 800 (very carefully), run win/xp find hardware, xp finds it and works fine, it just will not complete going the bios and open xp with both connected. Before installing the new hdd everything worked just fine with the exact same configs. Just kind of a pain and I'm afraid it will eventually damage the hdd or motherboard by continually plugging in power while machine is running, any help will very much be appreciated !

jnnh

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Do not hot power those drives, you will cause damage eventually - we see a lot of drives come in for recovery from that issue. What is the rating of your power supply and the rest of the system specs, might be marginal when trying to spin both drives at the same time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.