Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My machine: a Lenovo ThinkPad E135. No CD/DVD drive. I have Windows XP Professional on a USB pen stick via Rufus (portable).

I ran into issue during the Windows install. I have attached x2 photos.
Computer Personal computer Output device Font Gadget

Computer Output device Personal computer Television Blue

Since I have no CD/DVD drive, I cannot install Windows XP via this method.

Another thing to note: I recently installed Windows 7 Pro on this same machine. At least for Windows 7 Pro, I managed to download - GIGABYTE Windows USB Installation Tool - a tool specially for Windows 7. On this tool there were options such as:
  • Add USB drivers to an offline Win7 image
  • Add NVME drivers to an offline Win7 image
  • Add Packages to an offline Win7 image

I have not found anything for Windows XP, yet. I am doubtful this same tool will work for XP too.

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,572 Posts
I know this is a radical thought, but have you given any thought to upgrading to a current version of Windows and leaving the 20+ year old operating systems behind? What's the allure for XP at this point in time?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know this is a radical thought, but have you given any thought to upgrading to a current version of Windows and leaving the 20+ year old operating systems behind? What's the allure for XP at this point in time?
So for my main machines sure, I use Windows 11. But this old laptop. I don't want something so heavy and Windows XP had a low minimum amount of RAM. This laptop has like 4GB RAM.

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,278 Posts
The message in your pics says that you have No Mass Storage Device in the computer (ie) No HDD/SSD in the computer to install Windows to.
Boot the computer into Setup (Bios) under Advanced or System Information, it will list your drives on the computer. Check to make sure drive is healthy with Diagnostic software on another computer and make sure the drive is securely placed into the computer before attempting to install Windows.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The message in your pics says that you have No Mass Storage Device in the computer (ie) No HDD/SSD in the computer to install Windows to.
Boot the computer into Setup (Bios) under Advanced or System Information, it will list your drives on the computer. Check to make sure drive is healthy with Diagnostic software on another computer and make sure the drive is securely placed into the computer before attempting to install Windows.
So I have an IDE HDD in that computer split in 1/2. On one half is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, but that was too slow. I went to try Windows XP Pro since drivers exist and the minimum required ram is low MB. The newer operating systems become more heavy.

· TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,728 Posts
Got some really o-l-d, long outdated stuff there. IDE was introduced 36 years ago. Windows XP 21 years ago. And Windows 7 was 13 years ago.

The fastest IDE was Ultra ATA/133 with a maximum data transfer rate of 133 MB/s. Even an old SATA spinner (hard disk drive) can do 6,000 MB/s.

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,572 Posts
Even an old SATA spinner (hard disk drive) can do 6,000 MB/s.
Well, let's not get carried away. ;) A 7200 RPM HDD maxes out at 120-130MB/sec, interface speed doesn't help make the data come off the platters faster. A decent SATA SSD will do 500-600MB/Sec, but there's precious few that will do a lot more than that, and certainly no models anyone is buying for their desktop machine unless they're well heeled.

· TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,728 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
So I googled that lenovo Thinkpad e135 and it's supposed to support wind 7 and win 8. That being said when installing XP, if the you haven't slipstreamed XP a version of the AMD AHCI Controller Device driver to the XP installation media, then you'll need to install the HDD interface drivers with a USB floppy drive to get windows xp setup to recognized the interface.

During XP setup there is a spot when it's loading that you will need to press the F6 to load any drivers needed.

I found an Xp Driver on the Lenovo drivers website for the E135. Here's the link - Lenovo Thinkpad E135 It also has all the directions needed to install the driver for XP32 and XP64. The pages directions are for the 32 bit driver and downloa. I extracted the driver files and the XP64 bit drivers are included in that driver.

I made a zip file of the driver for you if needed. See attachded file. Saves you from having to dig it out of the temp directory.

Simply copy the contents of the zip file to a 1.44 floppy, plug in the USB Floppy drive, put the floppy disk in the drive, start XP setup, press the F6 key when prompted. Should recognize the drive in the laptop now.

Attachments

· Registered
205 Posts
Can't upgrade to XP from a newer OS unless in a VM. Even if he could load XP from the desktop he will still need the USB floppy disk to install the AHCI stotage controller driver.

Only other alternative is to slip stream the XP driver I found for him into his XP source files with nLite a slipstreaming tool for XP.

He can use nLite and the guide nLite driver integration guide to get the AHCI driver I posted the XP media. That would be the best way and wouldn't cost him the money for a USB floppy and disks.

Slipstream the drivers into his XP setup media then put it back on the USB thumb drive and his laptop willl recognize the sata controller as it is already installed in the XP media.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts