Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Win Xp system freezing up completely

1K views 15 replies 2 participants last post by  chemist 
Hello and Welcome to TSF.

Please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant notification by email, then click Add Subscription.

Please note that the forum is very busy and if I don't hear from you within three days this thread will be closed.

------------------------------------------------------

Please note that these fixes are not instantaneous. Most infections require more than one round to properly eradicate.

Please stay with me until given the 'all clear' even if symptoms seemingly abate.

Kindly follow my instructions and please do no fixing on your own or running of scanners unless requested by a helper.

Your hard drive is almost full. Having too little free space on your hard drive can compromise system performance.

C: is FIXED (NTFS) - 68 GiB total, 3.326 GiB free.
I suggest you move pictures, music, etc. to an external drive or USB stick if you have one and uninstall any programs that are never or hardly ever used.

Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running ComboFix:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

* Ensure you have disabled all antivirus and antimalware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

Please see this >> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/sUBs/mcafee_disable.gif

Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

Please re-enable your antivirus before posting the ComboFix.txt log.

Hello again, rendezvous. Are you being redirected in Google searches?

Go Start > Run and copy/paste the following single-line command into the Run box and click OK:

mbr.exe -f

A DOS window will open and close again, this is normal.

Go Start > Run and copy/paste the following single-line command into the Run box and click OK:

mbr.log

A text file should open. Please post the contents of that file in your next reply.

Hello again, rendezvous. Are you sure you aren't being redirected still?

Please reboot your computer.

mbr.exe -f

mbr.log

A text file should open. Please post the contents of that file in your next reply.

Hello again, rendezvous. It seems OK now looking at the last mbr log.

Please run gmer again as before and post the log in your next reply.

Hello again, rendezvous. Your logs look good. Please tell us how your system is behaving.

What is this host intrusion warning?
Part of your McAfee.

Also I remembered that in one of the logs the DVD drive of the machine was found infected or something like that
Not sure what you saw, but I don't see a problem there.

Is my machine 100% clean now?
We'll do an online scan shortly.

Please copy this page to Notepad and Save it to your Desktop in order to assist you when carrying out the following instructions.

Before beginning the fix, read this post completely. If there's anything that you do not understand, kindly ask your questions before proceeding.
Ensure that there aren't any opened browsers when you are carrying out the procedures below.

It is IMPORTANT that you don't miss a step & perform everything in the correct order/sequence.

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.
Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 and Save it to your Desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 17 The Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications.
  • Click the Download button to the right.
  • Select the Windows platform from the dropdown menu.
  • Read the License Agreement and then check the box that says: I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 with JavaFX License Agreement
  • Click Continue The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and Save the file to your Desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start(or My Computer) > Control Panel and double-click on Add or Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Click (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE, J2SE, Java(TM) SE or Java(TM) 6) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u17-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
  • After the install is complete, go back to your Control Panel(using Classic View) and click the Java icon. (looks like a coffee cup)
    • On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
    • Next, click on the Delete Files button.
    • There are two options in the window to clear the cache - Leave BOTH Checked
      • Applications and Applets
      • Trace and Log Files
    • Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window.
      Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE
    • Click OK to leave the Temporary Files Window.
    • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.
    • Delete jre-6u17-windows-i586-p.exe from your desktop.

Please download ATF-Cleaner by Atribune and Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main choose: Select All
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browser
  • Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
  • NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browser
  • Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
  • NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Please run this online scan to help look for remnants. Ensure your external and/or USB drives are inserted during the scan.

Establish an internet connection & perform an online scan at Kaspersky Online Scanner

Click Accept, when prompted to download and install the program files and database of malware definitions.
  • Click Run at any Security prompt.
  • The program will then begin downloading and installing and will also update the database.
  • Please be patient as this can take several minutes.
  • Once the update is complete, click on My Computer under the green Scan bar to the left to start the scan.
  • Once the scan is complete, it will display if your system has been infected.
  • It does not provide an option to clean/disinfect. We only require a report from it.
  • Do NOT be alarmed by what you see in the report. Many of the finds have likely been quarantined.
  • Click View scan report at the bottom.
  • Click the Save Report As... button.
  • Click the Save as Text button to save the file to your desktop so that you may post it in your next reply.
**Note**

To optimize scanning time and produce a more sensible report for review:
  • Close any open programs.
  • Turn off the real-time scanner of all antivirus or antispyware programs while performing the online scan.
Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble viewing the accept button of the license, click on the Zoom tool located at the bottom right of the IE window and set the zoom to 75%. Once the license is accepted, reset to 100%.

Please post the following in your next reply:

Kaspersky report
report on system behavior

Due to lack of response, this topic will now be closed. If you need continued support, please begin a new thread, and provide a link to this topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic, after following the steps outlined here:

IMPORTANT - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help

Hello again, rendezvous.

Go to Start > Run and copy/paste the following into the Run box and click OK:

cmd /c del /a/f/q "C:\Documents and Settings\RB\My Documents\Sept 19 downloads\MP3 TO MMF.exe"

Do you get any error messages when it fails to connect? Did you try the Troubleshooter? What does it say?

Did you right-click your connection and try 'Repair'? What happens?

See if this helps > http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/23754-43-vista-wifi-wireless-networks-connect-them

Hello again, rendezvous. Nothing we have done here would affect your wireless connection.

Try disconnecting then reconnecting your wireless card. Any difference?

Check your settings in VirusScan. See if your wireless connection is 'Trusted'.

Next, go Start > Run and copy/paste devmgmt.msc into the Run box and click OK.

Go 'View' and select 'Show hidden devices'. Double-click 'Network Adapters'.

If you see an exclamation point or question mark next to a device, double-click the device and tell me the error message.

Click 'Troubleshoot'. Let me know what you find. You may need to update your wireless card driver under the 'Driver' tab.

If you still have trouble, run dds.scr again and post/attach the logs as before.

Due to lack of response, this topic will now be closed. If you need continued support, please begin a new thread, and provide a link to this topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic, after following the steps outlined here:

IMPORTANT - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.