Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This maxtor 40.9 gig hard drive was the main boot drive in a pc that I was doing some video editing on and the pc simply turned off. I salvaged all the data from the secondary hard drive but
I cant get the data off this main boot drive as windows wont give it a letter. I installed xp pro on another hard drive and tried slaving this drive. The bios sees the drive fine and so does win xp pro but windows wont give it a letter. I have tried accessing the drive in dos as well, no go.
I havent tried any programs like spinrite or anything of that sort. I have tried computer management to no avail as there is no drive letter for the drive.
Is there a program that I can run from windows to try and get my data back? If I recall correctly spinrite runs on a floppy and runs in dos. I have a working copy of it. If I recall correctly all I have to do is have my pc’s bios to boot from my floppy drive while spinrite is in the floppy drive?
Is that correct?
I believe I also have a copy of getdataback for NTFS
And is there anything else I can do to try and get my data back?
The mobo is an ECS, KT7VA3 with an athlon xp 2400 cpu, 512 mb ddr ram, via chipset, xp pro, NTFS.
I have it all up and running again, the only problem is this hard drive.
One final bit of info. I tried the hard drive in a usb enclosure and no go.

Thank you for any help/info.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sure would if i knew how, lol.

But disk management shows everything normal but there is no drive letter. Bios shows the corrent drive, disk management shows the drive, gives perfect info on the drive, just no drive letter. No amount of left clicks or any other clicks will allow me to get a drive letter. It seems i can delete the partition on the drive but then i would defeat my purpose as i would like to get the data on it.
The drive doesnt show up in my computer either.
thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.