Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Win XP support personnel tell me I have to uninstall NIS 2007 and then I should be able to use System Restore. I really don't want to uninstall NIS because I don't have any other antivirus software installed. Does anyone have an answer:

·
Resident Pirate
17,982 Posts
Hi nmcclell, welcome to TSF :4-wave:

You can always install another anti virus.
AVG and aVast! are both highly recommended by many.

If you do not wish to do that, you can/should be able to disable Norton for the system restore, then enable it again.

For Norton 2007 product

STEP 1 Temporarily turn off product protection

1. Start your Norton product
2. On the Norton AntiVirus tab or the Norton Internet Security tab, click Settings.
3. Under Basic Security, click Auto-Protect.
4. Click Configure.
5. In the left pane, click Miscellaneous.
6. In the right pane, under How to protect my product, uncheck Turn on protection for my Symantec product.
7. Click OK.

STEP 2 Run Windows System Restore

Follow the operating system instructions to run Windows System Restore.

STEP 3 Turn on product protection

1. Start your Norton product
2. On the Norton AntiVirus tab or the Norton Internet Security tab, click Settings.
3. Under Basic Security, click Auto-Protect.
4. Click Configure.
5. In the left pane, click Miscellaneous.
6. In the right pane, under How to protect my product, check Turn on protection for my Symantec product.
7. Click OK.

Source

·
Registered
204 Posts
Win XP support personnel tell me I have to uninstall NIS 2007 and then I should be able to use System Restore. I really don't want to uninstall NIS because I don't have any other antivirus software installed. Does anyone have an answer:
Hi nmcclell,
This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your post. Norton Internet Security 2007 is indeed compatible with Windows XP, and should not affect your ability to use the System Restore feature.

The first step I would advise is that you run LiveUpdate, continually, until it alerts you that you have all of the latest updates applied. After doing so, please boot into Windows Safe Mode and run a Full System Scan from there. If you are alerted that your computer is infected, please reply back and let me know the details.

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you for your prompt response to my dilemna. Unfortunately, I have already uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2007, Norton System Works, and I have also deleted all references to Symantec from the Registry and Windows Explorer. I received a reply from a Symantec customer support rep that told me since I had tried to do a System Restore after uninstalling NIS, then it is not their problem and I need to contact Win XP personnel. I have done that, but no reply yet. Since Win XP System Restore has never, ever worked for me, I am wondering if there is something wrong or not included with my CD Rom which I purchased several years ago. My husband has a computer with WIN XP, but his came with his computer so it is OEM software.

Thanks. Hope you have some different answers for me soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to tell you that my Live Update is automatically run and it installs it on my computer.* I have already done all of the steps referred to in the first answer above. I don't know what his/her name is and can't find it anywhere within the reply to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.