Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I truly hope I can explain this problem and get it resolved. I want to use this as a web server for when I am away from home.

I have a:

• Dell Optiplex running win xp pro, sp 3.
  • intel P4 processor with
  • 1 GB RAM
  • it's connected with ethernet
  • to a motorola SB 900 cable modem for
  • Brighthouse Networks ISP.
  • I am running DYNDNS updater too, to resolve my dynamic ip to a url.

The problem is that every so often I need to manually obtain an ip address by using the repair button in the Local Area Connection Status window. However, I am able to do the repair remotely, so the nic is working. There doesn't seem to be any event that causes the connection to drop either so I am at a loss.

I sure hope someone knows what is going on and how I can fix this. A web server is kind of worthless if it drops connection. I'm not sure I'll be able to remotely connect if I'm not on the LAN.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, it is a wired (cat 5 ethernet) connection and I reformatted the hard drive and installed all the latest drivers for all hardware. it has the same problem now as before the format.

I can't find any log entries to explain why (don't really know where to look either) and there are no obvious errors.

I turned off the DHCP Protocol in the motorola sb900 so I can receive an ip address directly from the isp. the Dell optiplex is connected through a switch then the modem. My other computers in the LAN are all routed through a netgear router and they never lose connection.

I hope this is enough information. This issue is outside the limits of my knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.

·
Registered
723 Posts
ok hold on a sec.

You have this problematic computer connected from the modem to a switch then to the problem computer. You have other computers connected from the modem to the router then to the computers?

Does the problem computer go thru a router or not?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, the problem computer doesn't go through the router. I can't connect it to the router because then I won't be able to pull an ip address from the isp.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thats odd. Seems to me you should be able to get an IP address for all of your computers going through the router. Do you have your TCP/IP setttings set to use DCHP and automatically get a domain name?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, when I boot up I am connected with no problem at all. it's only when it's been on for a while.

I also use the "problem computer" for streaming radio. so it is constantly receiving data. Also, it's random, anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple days (this length of up time is rare).

oh, and I do have DHCP enabled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used LSPFIX.exe and it found no problems. there are only 3 apps that are using the LSP: mswsock.dll, winmr.dll, and rsvpsp.dll. when I googled LSPFIX.exe I found that these are the three default users of the LSP.
lol any other ideas?

Thanks for your help thus far, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are there any logs that will record events like this? I am kinda just shooting in the dark here.

Thanks again for all :)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Dumb question, but have you tried testing your physical ethernet cable with a known good one? I had intermittent problems like your talking bout with a bad cable connected to my computer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hehe ;) it's not a dumb question at all. I actually did check the ethernet cable, but not intentionally. I needed a longer cable because I moved my computer and switched cables at that time. I have the same issue with both cables. (both work fine otherwise)
In fact, the Motorola sb900 also uses USB and I tried that with the same problem of just disconnecting from the 'net. No other comp that I connect directly to the modem loses connection either. Do you think I should try a different NIC?

·
Registered
723 Posts
That might not be a bad idea, its just very odd that the three computers work flawlessly and this one always drops connection. I could understand it if it was wireless, but this is a wired connection, which doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Parttime, that's exactly what I was thinking. with my other computers, if there is a disconnect from 'net, it happens because of the router or the modem.
Right now I'm not relying on this system, but I will want a server up and running soon so I will try another NIC. If that doesn't fix this d/c issue then this comp will become a hand me down and I'll build a better system for serving pages.
Thank you so much for your time with this issue. I'm so happy I found this forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.