Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dell Latiutde c800 laptop computer. I bought this as used, refurbished and it is fantastic........but......Int Exolorer has add-ons disabled. I tried to 'manage add-ons' but the option is greyed so I can't do it. Also, I can't adjust the resolution, the little slide bar just doesn't move.:sigh: I don't have the install disks, so I can't re-install the OS. HELP !
I'm pretty much computer illeterate, so don't use too many technical terms
Be kind.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It's possible that it was used in an office environment and that has been blocked in security settings.

Go to Start > Run > type in gpedit.msc > on the left side, there are two "Administrative Templates" entries. Click on the lower one. > On the right side, click on Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Now look to see if the following is enabled:
"Do not allow users to enable or disable add-ons".

If that is enabled, double click it and disable it or set it to Not configured.

:wave:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I get to Adm Templ.. (the one under owner config.) I get several. choices so I chose 'system' and it showed me a bunch of things that are 'turned off'. I kept clicking on everything I could click on and all are 'not configured' including add-ons. I chanded it to disable. After restarting I got a script change and do I want to continue. I continued and still see 'add-ons disabled'. I went back and marked it enabled, re-started .......still 'add-ons disabled'.

·
Registered
327 Posts
When I get to Adm Templ.. (the one under owner config.) I get several. choices so I chose 'system' and it showed me a bunch of things that are 'turned off'. I kept clicking on everything I could click on and all are 'not configured' including add-ons. I chanded it to disable. After restarting I got a script change and do I want to continue. I continued and still see 'add-ons disabled'. I went back and marked it enabled, re-started .......still 'add-ons disabled'.

You don't click on what's below it. Once you double click Administrative Templates, it opens up the file tree on the right side, where you will be able to follow where I was talking about.

And this will only work if the setting was changed in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still find all 'not configured'. I came across a page where it listed the dll's installed and there are 2 missing: IECONT.DLL, IECONTLC.DLL. Could that have anything to do with it ? I did a Windows update my computer and it went through all the motions that it was downloading SP3 but now, listed under 'currently installed' are the words Win XP SP3 but the size field is blank. (I forgot that I can't download)

·
Registered
5 Posts
He didn't reply but I had the same problem and took your advise. It workd. I then pinned the IE to start and it works fine. Thanks a lot. I will post this on the other threads that ask this question.
Try this I think it may work.

To fix the problem click on
Start...

Then right click the IE Icon

Click on properties

Then click on find target

Click on IE shortcut

It should open IE

If there is not the yellow bar, then send that shortcut to desktop (the problem was the shortcut!!)
Thanks to likidysplit07

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.