Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows Xp keeps freezing... Xp freezes and you then have to reboot. During a freeze the screen locks(everything is open you can see the cursor, but mouse & keyboard are locked(ctrl +Alt+delete) does nothing)...You have to reboot!! The freezing seems to occur randomly... I have replaced memory and the video card has been swapped out (both did not fix). I have also reformatted my windows partion of my hard drive(20gb (13 and 7 partion))... Computer --- Win xp... FIC mobo, 800 AMD duron, 512 pc 133 memory, ATI 7500 64ddr video.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am having the exact problem on my system. I am running a GeForce3 Ti 500 (which I just got and is when it started messing up), 2 x 256 MB PC150, Athlon XP 1800+. If I run my system with both DIMMs at 133 MHz, it locks up. If I run it at 100 Mhz with both DIMMs, it's ok. If I run it at 133 Mhz with only one DIMM, either one, it's ok. I have heard that XP has some mysterious issue when used with over 256 MB of RAM. Why this is I don't know. I have also heard that if you install with over 256 you are asking for trouble, but if you install with 256 then increase the RAM, you are ok. That didn't work for me though. Does anyone know what the deal is?

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
I am not sure if this is going to be much help but I was having alot of troubles using the AMD chip set with the computer freezing at random with large amounts of ram. I am running a Pentium 4 with the same amount fo ram and everything is runnig smooth. One thing to keep in mind when buying new hardware is that No company test thier product using an AMD chipset they all use intel to test so the additon of certian hardware may cause random problem. I could also be OS related, I was running windows on the AMD and had lots of problems reloaded with linux and everything is running smoothly so it could be either. But I think the theory of XP and large amounts of memory seems a little out there to me. Since my XP with my P4 I have no lock up or other problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's a very good point. I wonder if there are any AMD chipsets that are less prone to this problem than others. That would be good to know. I am sort of set on the path of my AMD CPU now, besides, I find the Intel CPU's a bit overpriced for their performance. But, that's just me.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Runinng XP with 512MB and when the $$ is Right going to 1 gig....Have NO problems with memory...CHECK YOU POWER SUPPLY- they have to be 12 A or more ...(no it is not a typo ...I mean Amps not watts)for P4 and equivlant AMS-- spend the money got a 500 watt power supply from ChumUSA for $60....youll be suprised how bad power shows up as weird errors (lockups) in a system...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 431 watt Enermax power supply, P4 certified. I have tested with everything not necessary unplugged with the same results.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My friend had the same problem..........come to find out it was his video card. You might try another one jus to make sure, but that was his problem.

Good luck,

Laffctx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I tested my video card on another computer and it worked fine. My cousin thinks that I have a mismatched pair of DIMMs. I bought them at the same place at the same time, from the OverclockerzStore.com. I really don't know what the problem is at all. It's very frustrating.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to Tech Support Forums ttagent...............:D

Lets get back to ttagents problem here.

What model is your FIC motherboard?

What led up to the present problem?

Has the machine been running fine and this is a new problem?

Or did the problem occur after the install of XP?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.