Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 with a WD 200G SATA drive and I'm trying to format and install a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro SP2. I have made an image of the partition C: with Norton Ghost 8.0 before I went on with the formatting.

Problem: After the installation of Win XP, it is extremely slow. As I scroll through the screen (especially when using IE), I could see the screen try to refresh from the bottom to top).

I've installed the Intel Chipset Utility and the Display driver (nVidia 66.93) but it's no help. Before as I was installing Windows, I performed the F6 procedure and installed the Promise SATA Controller from Dell for my Dimension 8300.
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...D=DIM_PNT_P4_8300&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=4096 but it still not working.

After that, I followed the instruction from the Dell's website and tried to manually update the SATA Controller in Windows by going to Device Manager --> SCSI and RAID controller, except there was NO SCSI and RAID controller listed in there!

So I decided to load the original C: partition from the Ghost image to see what's there for the SCSI and RAID controller, it's merely using the A347SCSI SCSI Controller from Microsoft and it does not have the slowdown problem at all.

There must be something that I've missed when installing Windows. Why wouldn't it see the SCSI and RAID controller in Device Manager? I've tried to reinstalled Windows a few more times with and without doing the F6 procedure but I've failed to solve the slow down problem... could someone please help me out? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
AKC said:
Before as I was installing Windows, I performed the F6 procedure and installed the Promise SATA Controller from Dell for my Dimension 8300.
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...D=DIM_PNT_P4_8300&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=4096 but it still not working.
The Dimension 8300 uses the Intel 875P chipset. This mother will have 2 SATA controllers on it. The Promise controller, as listed for the drivers on the dell website, and the Intel ICH5R controller. I would have to suspect that the drive is attached to the Intel controller and not the Promise controller.

At the F6 prompt, try and install the Intel drivers I have listed here.
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...All&OSFullName=All+Operating+Systems&lang=eng

You will have to create a driver floppy disk for this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much crazijoe. I tried the driver you provided right away and used it with the installation of Win XP, but it's not working. However, even though it's still slow and choppy, it is *slightly* faster than before.

By the way, I still don't see the SCSI and RAID controller in Device Manager.... :cry:

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had choppy slow refreshing windows, especially on IE as well, and i fixed it by upping the refresh rate on my monitor.. just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your suggestion Rashiki, in my case it is definitely not the refresh rate because when I load the original Ghost image back, it is set on the lowest refresh rate, which is 60 Hz and it is running perfectly fine. I am missing the SCSI and RAID controller, Windows just doesn't see it. Is there are any utility out there that I could use to find out exactly which SATA controller I need? I am out of ideas. :sad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have downloaded the Intel Chipset Identification Utility and it identified the chipset to be Intel 875 chipset family / 82875P / 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R), SATA and PATA enabled. I have also downloaded and installed the latest Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (7.2.1.1003) from their website, but the result is still the same.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ AKC
Is this problem a video problem, and you are just having slow video response, or is the HDD itself very slow in all its uses(ie. loading programs, data transfer)as you only mention the poor video performance? Have you tried testing with HDTach to see what kind of HDD performance you are getting? Have you insured your cables are seated tightly...SATA cables are known to come loose easily :sad:

As of now, you have the HDD in question attached to the ICH5R connectors and you are still having problems, correct? Have you tried going 'bare-bones' and removing all unneccessary peripheral items(extra HDDs, any PCI or USB additions) and booting up to see if you have the same problem. Then you can add one peripheral at a time and retest between additions.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I have seen this problem many times on the asus P4C800-E deluxe mother board / also a intel 875 chipset motherboard and ICH-5R controller / it appears to be a buggy little devil / numerous posters have reported the same problem - some have seen a temporary improvement from moving the sata drive cable from sata 1 connector over to sata 2 connector / but it gets slow again in about 2 weeks :( several others think they have it narrowed down to a NCQ issue (sata drive protocol) this chipset prefers non-NCQ drives
/ personally I just think the 875 chipset isnt going to make the Hall Of Fame for performance / if I were in your boots I would buy a Promise Brand Sata Controller card from newegg.com (about $35.00 to $40.00) these are extremely easy to configure and have their OWN BIOS which keeps them seperated from the control of the flaky intel controller !!!!

also / are you running the latest and greatest bios revision for your mobo ????

regards

joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.