Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I didn't double post this.
I currently have XP SP2 installed on RAID 0
ANyway I have Partition Magic 8.5 and VistaBootPro 3.3 ready to go for a dual boot on a RAID 0 partition. I'm not exactly sure how to use PM. Do I resize my current partition and then create a new partition? Also, will I lose my XP RAID configuration if I use a Vista RAID configuration on the same physical drives (2 WD Raptor x's in RAID 0)
Also any other tips you may have for setting up a Vista dual boot would be appreciated.
Basically I want to run DirectX 10 games only on Vista for my geForce 8800GTS card
Thanks

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4 chipset with 6.86 drivers

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Follow up:

I took the plunge and resized my RAID 0 partition. Does it matter if I make the new partition a Logical or Primary drive when installing Vista for a dual boot. I ask because I tried it as a Primary drive but when my PC reboots it goes straight into XP and never finishes the install of Vista. When I tried it as a logical drive it boots into a boot menu with Vista as an option but since in never installed I get an error message with 3 options none of which I am able to carry out.
I sense that I'm close to figuring it out but not quite there. Some help would be nice or a link that might help. I haven't found a good link that covers this particular situation.
Thanks

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK
I'm pulling my hair out.
I can't get Vista to finish installing on my RAID 0 setup. I can get to the part where I install the RAID drivers and then Vista extracts it's installation files and then when it reboots it boots into XP with no option of booting into Vista; so I have to do the whole installation over again from the DVD but with the same results. I've tried runninig from XP but I get an error message that says setup can not run on theis version fo the operating system.
Anybody?

· Registered
700 Posts
I hope I didn't double post this.
I currently have XP SP2 installed on RAID 0
ANyway I have Partition Magic 8.5 and VistaBootPro 3.3 ready to go for a dual boot on a RAID 0 partition. I'm not exactly sure how to use PM. Do I resize my current partition and then create a new partition? Also, will I lose my XP RAID configuration if I use a Vista RAID configuration on the same physical drives (2 WD Raptor x's in RAID 0)
Also any other tips you may have for setting up a Vista dual boot would be appreciated.
Basically I want to run DirectX 10 games only on Vista for my geForce 8800GTS card
Thanks

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4 chipset with 6.86 drivers
As long as you partition it inside Windows you will not loose your Raid..I did this to put Linux on my raid stripe..
As far as dual booting with Vista just install Vista first...Other than that I have not used vista yet..

Have for the partitions yes they need to be an Active boot partition.. Make sure you have enough space on the partition for Vista.. As you need I think at least 20 gigs free after the install I might be wrong about that though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.