Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a dell dimension 9200 intel(R) core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz , 2GB of ram.

I have 2 250gb ST3250820AS harddrives (Seagate barracuda i believe).

Ok so basically, i was really really pissed of with windows vista because of its compatability issues and slowing down my computer so i decided to downgrade to xp media edition.

Despite being a complete newbie when it comes to installing os' i thought i would be able to handle it. Anyway, at first I simply could not get xp to install i kept getting a 'windows could not install because of a computer disk hardware configuration error'. Anyway after a lot of playing around i switched from 'raid on' to 'raid auto detect/ata' i then created a 120gb partition on the first hdd (because i read xp could not detect harddrives over 130gb). IT FINALLY INSTALLED.

HOWEVER here is my problem......

i now only have windows xp on a 117.19 partition- i dont want this, i want to be able to have all 500gb in my c: drive. i went to disk managment on xp and messed around for a bit, converting both disk drives to 'dynamic disks' . This was probably a bad idea as i didnt really know what i was doing.

Please please help me so that i can access all 500gb in my c: drive

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
You need to make sure that you have SP2 for windows too see anything larger than 140GB. Second you need to have the driver for the raid when doing the install (during the text mode install press F6 for 3rd party SCSI or RAID drivers).

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
to convert your Dynamic back to Basic or Simple volume you must delete the partition and reinstall Windows again. boot off of the Windows CD with sp2 and Delete the partition and create a new partition making the maximum size of the drive. Format NTFS and install Windows. If you don't have a Windows XP CD with SP2 or better yet sp3 then you can Slipstream it into your disc using nLITE.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.