Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased and HP Desktop that has an ethernet card install. Here we are running a novell netware server client.

In short, how do i get my windows XP home edition PC to connect to my Novell network? I have downloaded the novell cliet 491SP1 and installed. It says the "tree" or "server' is wrong or cant be found. I click the browse button so i can look for it but there is nothing coming up as listed.

Someone suggested that the XP firewall may be preventing the software from seeing the network, but how do i turn off the firewall, if that is even the probelem

What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resolution said:
Did you try setting the client to IPX-only? I think the version you have defaults to IP.

Hello. Yes, Its set to IPX. still no such luck. Unless i did that wrong. Can you tell me the procedure for doing that. Just to make sure Im doing it the correct way at the correct location? Also what is the "tree" or an example of the tree? I know what the server name is.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You have to uninstall the client and then reinstall it as a custom install to set it as "IPX only".

A tree is just a hierarchical structure of objects, such as a file system. In this case, I think the tree would be a list of servers (depending if you have more than one) that you can connect to.

You have to understand that XP Home (when dealing with Netware), is not supported by Microsoft or Novell. The clients were not made to run on XP Home, just like XP Home was not made to connect to any network/domain. If this is a business network you are running, you would be better off leaving Home off the network. If the system has problems or gives your network problems, Novell will not provide support, and probably the same for Microsoft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.