Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm using a borrowed extremely old computer win 7 professional service pack 1 and 32 bit) while mine is in the shop.

It hasn't been used in 2 years and windows update and MSSE won't update. It is activated, I checked.

I did uninstall and reinstall MSSE; hoping it would update easily after being reinstalled. But it's been running update by itself for well over an hour and not getting anywhere.

I've tried to get both to update today most of the day and neither is able to find updates and just runs and runs.

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
45,015 Posts
If MSE doesn't update, chances are the machine is infected.
If running SFC /scannow doesn't help, please click on the link in my signature for Virus/Malware Help and do those things and post in that section of the forum.

· Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Masterchiefxx17 & spunk.funk

Results were:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>SFC /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

I'll do the anti-viral/malware check. But I was the last person to use this machine 2 years ago and it was clean and updated when I finished with it - I had even run ESET online before I finished with it and deleted all my files.

Do you think, if it's infected it infected my thumb drive as I used it to download my bookmarks (but nothing else)?

Thank you very much

· Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IE 11 is already on this computer it's 11.0.9600.16428

I can't seem to find the correct manual download for .NET Framework 4.2.1 updates. I google it and only was getting for XP and older or .NET Framework 4.5.2 updates.

Thank you.

· Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Masterchiefxx17,

Yesterday very limited time on the computer. I did update .NET Framework 4.5.2 and MSSE updated after that yesterday.

I didn't have a chance to look for windows updates until this morning and it's still not updating - it's stuck in the searching.

Also, today MSSE won't update either, it says it's downloading but is stuck again (but before was stuck in search), so past the searching but stuck while downloading.

Thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.