Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I just came over from the security forum. Tetonbob thought this was the next place to seek help.

After uninstalling NIS, the Windows Security Center still indicates that I have Norton Firewall and AV running. Technob helped me eliminate all traces of Symantec products (there were MANY!), but Windows still seems to be confused. I plan to have only one firewall and AV product and want the Security Center to give me accurate info about whether they're running and up to date.

Is this worth fixing or should I just ignore the Security Center?

Thanks for any help,

Steve

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Make sure there is still no norton services running in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Geekgirl - thanks for responding! I couldn't find any references to symantec or norton there. What next?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
currently I've got AVG Free 7.5, the built-in Windows firewall, and a Linksys router, which I believe has a hardware firewall

I tried reinstalling SP2 last night, but it hung before completing, with no apparent damage to my system

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"hung" might not be the wrong word. it just said installation failed. this happened after it said it had completed installation and was "running processes"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, i just ran complete scans with AVG, Win Defender and Spybot. but they never ever finds anything except spybot finds a few cookies which i delete, but they always come back the next scan

i've used NIS and ad-aware up until last august and they never found anything either

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
So with AVG installed the Secuirty Center is still saying your being protected by NIS?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Symantec products embed themselves so deeply into your registry it's like trying to squeeze a towel %100 dry to get it completely off your system. So much so that the company has acknowledged this themselves and has provided a small piece of software to help remove the software. You can download it here:

http://www.mickelson.org/files/zips/nonav.zip

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi geekgirl and syms. the security center says i have more than one firewall and av product running. if i briefly turn off avg and the built in windows firewall alternately, then it says norton av and firewall are running.

i've already run these tools which are on the symantec site, per technobob:

rnav2003.exe
rnisupg.exe
symcln.exe

couldn't figure out how to use nonav. i downloaded and then unzipped it. the pdf instructions says the batch file options should be enabled. i don't know how to do that, and a couldn't open the batch file. but i wonder if the "official" tools above might have superseded this unofficial nonav program anyway?

if I know i have a firewall and av running and updated, does it matter whether the security center is confused? maybe i should let this rest...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think NIS 2003-2005. Not 100% sure, because I manage security on 3 computers, but I've always at least had NAV since purchasing this computer in 2003.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.