Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to reinstall windows 98 on my old p166mhz machine. have a boot disk and can access all the features from the cd. I have tried using fdisk and format to clean both hard drives in the system... hd1-4gb...hd2-10.6gb. however when i try to install the install tells me that i don't have 250 mb on my drives to install windows 98. I know that there are gigabites of free space and i don't know what to do next. could anyone help me? peraps walk me through the fdisk on aol sometime or through this post. perhaps i'm not doing it right and i would like to get these two hard disks formatted properly so that the install will recognize the maximum capacity on the drives. thanks much, all help is greatly appreciated.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
I believe on that old of a computer the bios had a 8 gig limit for the hard drive. If the 10 gig was in before, then likely the first hard drive had a boot overlay on it.

Boot the computer and see if a window comes up saying
Press space or ctrl c or something similiar to boot from floppy.

This would be the overlay. To correctly partition and format these drives, you will have to let the overlay load, then press the key combo and boot from your floppy or cd.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok hist of system is, it used to be a windows 98 system and operated correctly with both hard drives ( the origional and the newer 10gig). I installed linux and had a problem. I am now converting it back. I am able to get into the fdisk and format functions as well as a doss prompt to access both my startup windows disk (boot disk) and the cd-rom. It does allow and suport the larger drive (or at least it used to) and it says that it still does but still doesn't recognize it at this moment. any other thoughts as to what it could be? Also, those options u offered do not appear when i boot. but, like i said before, i have no problems booting to the floppy. I am still unsure about that overlay u were talking about.... can you offer more info perhaps? maby a bit of step by step from the floppy boot? i know that is time consuming but i'm really in a bind and do appreciate any knowledge. thanks.

·
1,038 Posts
Boot from a floppy that has fdisk or use fdisk from the win98 directory on the cd. When it asks for large disk support press "y"

After that, Display partition information.

Do that for each drive.

Post back what you see.

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
decided to only use the primary disk(10gb) to try the fdisk. make it a lil easier and only deal with one drive for now then format the other later. anyways, here is the information as it appears on the screen:
(i used the foreslash to denote seperation for the info)
partition / status / type / volume label / mbytes /system / usage
c:1 / A / pri dos / C / 12 / fat12 / 1%
2 / / ext dos / / 8050 / / 100%

total disk space is 2014 mbytes (1 mbyte = 1048576)

the extended dos partition contains logical dos drives.
do you want to display the logical drive information (y/n).....? [y]

when i display the logical dos drive info

it tells me:

no logical drives defined

total extended dos partition size is 8050 mbytes (1 mbyte = 1048576 bytes)

so i cannot delete any logical drives or the partitions to format the disk completely

likewise happened with 2 hard disks in the comp. i received identical messages to those when 1 hard disk was run.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
speedo thanks for the site. i tried the instructions on the microsoft page but was still only able to get the hd to where i am now....with a fat 12 partition and a very oddly aranged drive... i dunno what could be wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the current one entered is a maxtor drive
the other 2 i have are really old. one that came with comp which is a western digital caviar 33100 and a spare i had which is a western digital caviar 31600 which are 3166.7mb and 1624.6mb respectively

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
something new i just saw when i booted and is prolly a cause if not the cause....dumb me.... ther is a "system board device resource conflict" i have no clue what it could be or how to identify it. all hardware except the hd is stock to this pc. origional ram, floppy drice, cd drive, etc..... sorry i didn't catch that earlie. any idea on how i can resolve that first?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my bios setup appears to be correct. i can type that in if you'd like to see it to make sure. it's 2 short pages of info.

S

·
0 Posts
If the 4 gig was the master drive before and now your using the 10 gig as master you need to jumper it as master.

What size was the original hard drive that was in there? If it was the 4 gig then put that in all by itself as master and see if the resource thing goes away.

·
1,038 Posts
Go to maxtor and download the EZ-Bios, or it might still be called max blast. You will need an overlay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Speedo: my jumpers on the 10 were set to master and still are. tried the smaller origional drive again and set its jumpers to master but still got the resource error.
idtent: i found the file on maxtors site... it's called maxblaster3. i'll try that and report back with my findings.

·
1,038 Posts
You have to run the maxblast software file on a computer running win 98 or other os. This file makes a bootable floppy. After you make the bootable floppy from another windows computer, you can boot the floppy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the maxblast program worked like a charm... thanks to all for the help..starting a new thread to try and work out that "system board device resource error" message.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.