Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Pentium 100 for free from my dads work when they upgraded all their systems. The computer had win 95 on it, but when I got it, the whole windows directory was deleted off of it. Now it has a cd rom in it and when I try and access the cd rom through dos it does not work. The only thing that works is the 3 1/2 floppy. I would like to reinstall windows on it, but I cant get the cd rom to work, so i dont know what to do. Please help, thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
I do believe the Win95 boot disk has no CD Rom support.

But the Win98 OEM does.

If the version of Win.95 that you have is a full version you can do a complete install from the CD after booting to the floppy as instructed below.

But if it is an upgrade you will need an earlier version of DOS and Windows 3.1 installed first.

OK here is what you need to do.

First go here <http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html> and download the Win98 boot disk.

Win98 is FAT32 and Win95 is fat16 so you need to do the following.

Boot to this new boot disk.

Select boot with no CD Rom support.

At the A prompt type fdisk, When the prompt comes up about large disk support select yes if the hard drive is larger than 512 megabytes, Otherwise select No

Then select option 3 Enter

Select option 1 Enter

Select Yes

Type in the Volume Label if there is one and hit enter.

Are you sure Yes.

Esc.

Select 1

Select Yes

Esc

Reboot

Now you need to Format.

Boot to the floppy without CD-Rom support.

At the A prompt type format c:/s

Select yes

When it's finished you can enter a volume label such as hard drive or you can leave it blank.

Now boot to the floppy one more time, This time select boot with CD-Rom support

At the A prompt select E:\ enter.

This is assuming you have one hard drive and one CD-Rom. The E could be an F or some other letter depending on the amount of IDE devices you have.

With the Win95 CD in the drive type setup, Enter this should start loading the Operating System.....

Have fun.....

S

·
0 Posts
Hey cut me a break I'm old and I'm still learning....:D

Man if I were you peoples age there would be no stopping me.

No stopping me I tell you Yeeee Hawww, Ouch Ooch gotta stop doin that...:nuts:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If your really that old, you have to be the coolest old guy I know! I mean you kept up with tech... you have a sense of humor, and you aren't age discriminant... I wish I could say that for any of the older people I know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I use a Windows 98 disk instead of a Win 95 disk, because I just found my Windows 98 disk from when I had my old Pentium 133 that had windows 95 on it and i upgraded it to 98. Or should I just install Win 95 and then once thats done install Win 98?

S

·
0 Posts
Do it all with 98...:D

If the 98 CD is an upgrade you will need the 95 for verification.

S

·
0 Posts
and you aren't age discriminant... I wish I could say that for any of the older people I know
Hey lifes to short to waste on trivial things like age discimination..:D

Now if everyone could learn to get along in this world things would be Just Peachy ...:winkgrin:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I did these steps below:

Boot to this new boot disk.

Select boot with no CD Rom support.

At the A prompt type fdisk, When the prompt comes up about large disk support select yes if the hard drive is larger than 512 megabytes, Otherwise select No

Then select option 3 Enter

Select option 1 Enter

Select Yes

Type in the Volume Label if there is one and hit enter.

Are you sure Yes.

Esc.

Select 1

Select Yes

Esc

Reboot

Now when i went to reboot it now says "Missing Operating System" Now what should I do
:confused:

S

·
0 Posts
Hah

You need to leave the floppy in the floppy drive then follow the rest of the instructions,

If you have finished fdisking you need to format now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I rebooted with the disk in the drive and it says "Non-System disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready" then if i take the disk out and press the space bar it says "Missing Operating System"

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
Quick suggestion go into the bios and make the cd the first bootable device and put the win95 cd in. In theory it should boot directly to the setup.

If that dont work make a boot disk on your 98 machine by going in to the control panel/add remove programs/create boot disk(something like that)/ and create a new disk.

Put the new disk in and say boot with cdrom support. Then type the drive letter: (cd rom drive letter probably D, E, or F) and type setup.

S

·
0 Posts
Ok, I rebooted with the disk in the drive and it says "Non-System disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready" then if i take the disk out and press the space bar it says "Missing Operating System"
Is the bios set to boot from the floppy drive first?

This disk your using is a Win98 boot disk?

And did you download it from the link that I gave you?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes the bios is set to boot the floppy first. The disk that i am using is the boot disk that you told me to download. I downloaded the Win 98 boot disk on my Win ME system then put it on a floppy then stuck the floppy in to the 95 system and thats when i get that non system disk error crap:angry2:

S

·
0 Posts
Try the disk in the WinME machine and see if it boots to it.

If it does there is something amiss with the floppy.

Oh! Does the green light stay on all the time on the floppy drive?

Gotta go back and read this thread again...LOL

S

·
0 Posts
I downloaded the Win 98 boot disk on my Win ME system then put it on a floppy then stuck the floppy in to the 95

How did you put it on the floppy did you run the program you downloaded or did you just copy it to the floppy?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.