Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Error: "Boot Configuration Data Editor has stopped working"

A week or so ago I posted this problem which seemed to have cleared up. It was intermittent at the time. Now it is happening each time I boot.

I was told to make a system repair disk which I did. However the computer does not boot to this repair disk with the disc in the CD drive. The disk contains the following files:

bcd

boot.sdi

bootfix.bin.

None of these are exe programs.

As this problem has now becomes an everytime occurance I would like to get a fix. This system is only 3 weeks old. Dell ran a check on all the hardware with no problems found.

SYSTEM SPECS
Dell Studio XPS 9100
INTEL I7-920 PROCESSOR
WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64 BIT
12 GB TRI CHANNEL DDR3 SDRAM AT 1333 MHZ
ATI RADEON HD5670 1GB GDDR5
1 TB 7200 SATA 3.9 GBS 16 MB CACHE
CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER X-FI

Dave

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft MVP
7,483 Posts
Since the system is only 3 weeks old, I'd use the System Restore disks to wipe the hard drive and install the OS.

AFAIK, Dell's still come with an Operating System disk. If not, check the All Programs menu for an item to make operating system restore disks (your system may also have a recovery partition that you can do this from).

The reason for this drastic move is to see if it is indeed a software issue. If it's software, it's your problem - if it's hardware, Dell has to fix it under your warranty.
So, if the wipe and reinstall doesn't fix it, it's likely to be a hardware problem and Dell will then have to fix it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, Dell does not send system discs anymore but I did make a set of system restore discs.

I am not quite ready to dump the hard drive, took me two weeks to load it up! I do have back-ups of some of it but I do not see much difference in performance with this error anyway so I may just live with it.

Dave K.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,

I have about 800 gigs on the hard drive. MyVista computer crapped it's system about 8 weeks ago. Had to reformat, re-install everything. Then I bought this one and transfered most everything over so I have had about enough of that for a while. I don't know why Vista and now Win 7 is getting corrupted. I have always used Norton and never had any virus problems at all.

Have a good weekend and thanks for the prompt replies.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.