Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cannot Repair Windows 7, 64 bit, with Disk provided with computer.

My problem started with right clicking on a remote drive and hoping to view the Properties of the drive. I got that infamous "Windows explorer has stopped working" message.

I tried most of the solutions listed on the forum to no avail.

As a last resort I was going to use the disk provided and access the repair capability. That did come up but when selected I got the message "This version of System Recovery Options in not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows".

Has anyone run into this? Other than the above everything seems to function OK.

I do use MS Security Essentials and Spybot Home.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Is the system failing to start now? What messages are you getting at startup?

Is this a pre-built system or a home built PC? If it's pre-built (DELL, HP, etc) turn off the PC and restart, as soon as you turn the power on press F8 repeatedly until you get to the alternate boot menu. There should be an option to Repair Computer which should allow you to access the repair function.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Computer starts without any problems visible. The original problem still exists. I had attached a remote 80GB USB Drive (Samsung 5000LE) and when I tried to access it my problem started. I could not access it! I did have some unwanted ads and I cleaned my computer using spybot that did find some malware and cleaned it.

Then I noticed that when I right click on a drive I get the message I described. Other than that all seems to rum OK.

Pressing F8 on boot does not have any repair functions listed except for restore and it is limited to option only in this month and no further back. Booting to my provided Win 7 Disk offers a repair function but it gives the message I described above.

I have done the scan as described in the blog and am attaching those files (just in case).

Thanks for what you do,

RA

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
System was put together as a present by Tiger Direct (Comp USA) last year. I
The re isn't any repair funtion on the F8 menu!

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Sounds like there's something wrong with the USB drive and not necessarily something wrong with Windows. If a drive is not functioning correctly and Windows tries to access it the OS will sometimes freeze or Explorer will crash. If the system is working fine otherwise I would look at the drive as the issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went and changed all my power settings (Display and Sleep) to never.

The problem is at this time gone (Whew!). Hopefully it will remain gone. I appreciate all the help and hope I haven't taken your time unnecessarily. Just maybe the power settings and return from sleep create more problems than we are currently aware of?

Thanks again crew, you are the greatest.

RA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.